Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Front Seat Belt removal

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,

I was able to procure new white seats for my Model 3, couldn't snag an inventory one with the white interior when I purchased in December during the full Tax Credit. I am super excited to get the interior I wanted all along but need some help if any of you have done this before.

I know the seat belts clip to the pre-tensioner mechanism and there is a tool that will all you to pop it off. Obviously getting this from Tesla will be an effort in futility so wondering if anyone has removed seats on their own and if so what tools they used to remove the belt from seat.

Thanks in advance!

Hi all,

I was able to procure new white seats for my Model 3, couldn't snag an inventory one with the white interior when I purchased in December during the full Tax Credit. I am super excited to get the interior I wanted all along but need some help if any of you have done this before.

I know the seat belts clip to the pre-tensioner mechanism and there is a tool that will all you to pop it off. Obviously getting this from Tesla will be an effort in futility so wondering if anyone has removed seats on their own and if so what tools they used to remove the belt from seat.

Thanks in advance!
Check out this video on how to do it. I queued up the timestamp but in case it doesn't work, start at 3:40

Ah ok I see what he did there that would work. The person I bought the seats from (he builds race cars and is building out a model 3 performance) said you can pop open the plastic cover and manipulate the clip etc. but I was a bit worried about breaking something internal. This seem like a safer bet.

Thank you so much for the quick reply.

I had to remove the tensioner from the seatbelt and will share how I went about doing so. This is a bit destructive.

I downloaded the Atlas of the tool and printed it but it was just too flimsy to push down the plastic retainer and the metal retainer clip. This would work if you made it out of sheet metal. Just print the outline 1:1 and cut it with a cut off wheel from a piece of sheet metal.

I basically broke the plastic cover open. It’s a clamshell and clips back after it’s broken well enough. I’ll probably add a drop of crazy glue or something.

Here is what it looks like once you break the cover open

As you can see the white clip needs to be rotated counter clockwise and the metal retainer clip needs to move clockwise to release.
So I used a metal hook pick and pulled the metal clip clockwise with my thumb and pulled the tensioner and it slipped out.
It may need a couple try’s but you’ll get it. Then just click the plastic cover closed. You’ll probably damage it a little but honestly it isn’t noticeable.

Hope it helps someone.

• Informative
Reactions: Lindenwood