Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Front seatbelt rattle remediation how-to?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I hate to be the guy making a thread looking for another thread, but I know someone posted pics or video of where to apply felt in the seatbelt height adjuster (and how to get there) to put a permanent stop to the rattles… but I'll be damned if I can find the thread!

Anyone happen to have that info?

I’ve owned a lot of new cars in my life and never once have I had to do something like this to correct the issue. I keep seeing videos of how to fix things that shouldn’t be our responsibility to fix. Tesla should fix it. I’ve heard the excuse of it’s a new car manufacturer so they have to work the bugs out. How many hundreds of thousands of these cars are out there?

I’m not sure if I wasn’t as aware, or there are really that many issues out there. I get frustrated for those people who have to find a video to fix an issue in their car that shouldn’t be there.

I’ve been fortunate to not have any significant issues but feel for those that do.

I’ve owned a lot of new cars in my life and never once have I had to do something like this to correct the issue. I keep seeing videos of how to fix things that shouldn’t be our responsibility to fix. Tesla should fix it. I’ve heard the excuse of it’s a new car manufacturer so they have to work the bugs out. How many hundreds of thousands of these cars are out there?

I’m not sure if I wasn’t as aware, or there are really that many issues out there. I get frustrated for those people who have to find a video to fix an issue in their car that shouldn’t be there.

I’ve been fortunate to not have any significant issues but feel for those that do.

Yeah it’s a ridiculous situation. I love my car but I’m really not a fan of Tesla’s practices in general.

My old 350Z had seatbelts that rattled against the B pillar when not buckled. They had to put a clip on the passenger side to hold the buckle in place when not in use. Passengers never figured out to put the belt back in the clip when exiting, unless I reminded them. Very annoying. (Also had rattle in armrests after a couple years, which I fixed with some foam tape.) My P3D has no rattles (so far).

One thing to keep in mind is that Tesla hasn't reached the large volumes of the big brands. (Well, maybe now with Model 3...) The first model year (and/or xx thousand) of any car are more likely to have problems. This stuff gets sorted out the next model year in many cases. With Tesla, they incorporate rolling production changes all the time, so fixes get done a little faster.

Of course, Tesla does make mistakes and learns from some of them :rolleyes:. And Internet forums are biased towards complaints. Not suggesting people don't have legitimate issues. YMMV.

Reactions: M109Rider
I’ll check out that video. My seatbelt tensioner rattles on all but the smoothest roads. And on rougher roads (those with a sort of gravely texture) there’s a second rattle from somewhere around the left end of the dash or the front of the door. Someone mentioned the VIN plate might be rattling.