Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

front seats collided on second row seats when moving front seat backward

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,

I found that when I am trying to move second row forward, the front seat will also move forward to prevent it collided with each other. However,then, IfI try to move the front seat backward, the second row seats won't move back and then the two seats collided.

Is it just me or it happens on everyone?

Reactions: rush6410
The second row seats have two conditions. Latched which is safe for driving and can be move forward or back with limited movement. Unlatched, used for accessing third row. Will move forward beyond latched and safe limits. If you move it forwad for third row access and unlatched, there is nothing keeping the front seats colliding with the second row seats. Be sure to return the second row seats to the latched position prior to adjusting your front seats.

Reactions: flying_things
The second row seats have two conditions. Latched which is safe for driving and can be move forward or back with limited movement. Unlatched, used for accessing third row. Will move forward beyond latched and safe limits. If you move it forwad for third row access and unlatched, there is nothing keeping the front seats colliding with the second row seats. Be sure to return the second row seats to the latched position prior to adjusting your front seats.

@rush6410 Thanks for the explanation!

While I am moving the second row, how do I know if I am moving within the latched limit?

I do noticed when the second seat is unlatched, I will received a warning message on center console if I shift it to D gear, is that the only way to tell if the seat is latched?

While I am moving the second row, how do I know if I am moving within the latched limit?

I do noticed when the second seat is unlatched, I will received a warning message on center console if I shift it to D gear, is that the only way to tell if the seat is latched?

Latch would be if you press forward or backwards on the arrow buttons on the rear of the seat and letting it go to the full position. For example, if you press the seat backwards then use the back of seat button to move forward making 3rd row foot room that is not safe. You must use the side seat slider after the seat has gone all the way back.

FWIW shifting to gear as the way to show would be the only real time it matters since latch/unlatch doesn't matter if you're not moving :)

@flying_things I am a techie and a bit OCD. So, the seat positioning and controls irritated the heck out of me. I spent a few hours trying to figure out the best way to adjust the seats for comfort especially for the third row occupants. I am all about efficiency. So, I went about the most efficient way to occupy all seats and adjust for everyone's comfort. There are three ways to control the seats. This is what I discovered:

Second row arrows at top of seat
  • Quick single press forward - Unlatches the seat, moves forward, and tilts for easiest access to third row
  • Quick single press backwards - Moves backward fully, latches seat
    • Since it moves the seat back fully, this can be uncomfortable for the third row occupant requiring second row adjustment
  • Long press and hold forward or backward - When you release, the seat will stop.
    • Front seat will move forward or backwards with second row.
    • Allows you to move from or to latched or unlatched manually - seat does not immediately unlatch until you move beyond the forward latched limit.
      • Tip - This works great for third row occupant adjusting both second and front seats with a single action. But, if you hold too long, the second row will unlatch once it goes beyond the latched limit. To add, there is no way to know when you hit that limit. So, a bit of practice and trial and error is needed.
      • I created a second profile for me as the driver to adjust the seat higher and closer to the wheel in order to give rear occupants more room in addition to keeping my setting comfortable for driving. I select the profile after second and third row occupants have adjusted seats.
    • A quick single press forward still works if second row is latched.
Second row bottom seat adjuster
  • Adjust seat forward, back, and tilt within latched limits
  • Tip - Use this after long press adjustment for fine tuning for the second row occupant.
Main display seat controls
  • Quick single press and long press behaves the same as above "Second row arrows at top of seat" section on display
  • Tip - Display indicates when you have reached the forward latched limit moving to unlatched with a yellow highlight when unlatched.
  • There is a slight delay when using the long press and it moves pretty fast, so be attentive and proactive on the right timing to release to stop the seat in the right position.
In conclusion, I found that using the long press behaviors for third row adjusting is the most efficient way to adjust all seats allowing the right spacing between all seats. For fine tuning, after using long press actions, create second driver profile. Also, if you use the display, you get real time feedback for latched and unlatched conditions.

I hope this helps.

@rush6410 Thanks for the details explanation, I tried all of them and it really helps, Tesla should add those words into their instructions.

some observations:

When i did a Long press and hold for backward, i heard a click notice from bottom of the seat to indicate it transit from unlatched to latched. It could be a useful indicator when third row has occupants and move second row backward won't crush on them but still make it latched.

When moving forward, no sound can be hear when goes to unlatched though. :-|

Also, I found out if second row has occupants, Quick single press for arrow button won't work, long press and hold still works. I think it can prevent second row occupants crushed on first row.

OMG, the seat adjustments on Tesla are so complicated!

@flying_things I am a techie and a bit OCD. So, the seat positioning and controls irritated the heck out of me. I spent a few hours trying to figure out the best way to adjust the seats for comfort especially for the third row occupants. I am all about efficiency. So, I went about the most efficient way to occupy all seats and adjust for everyone's comfort. There are three ways to control the seats. This is what I discovered:

Second row arrows at top of seat
  • Quick single press forward - Unlatches the seat, moves forward, and tilts for easiest access to third row
  • Quick single press backwards - Moves backward fully, latches seat
    • Since it moves the seat back fully, this can be uncomfortable for the third row occupant requiring second row adjustment
  • Long press and hold forward or backward - When you release, the seat will stop.
    • Front seat will move forward or backwards with second row.
    • Allows you to move from or to latched or unlatched manually - seat does not immediately unlatch until you move beyond the forward latched limit.
      • Tip - This works great for third row occupant adjusting both second and front seats with a single action. But, if you hold too long, the second row will unlatch once it goes beyond the latched limit. To add, there is no way to know when you hit that limit. So, a bit of practice and trial and error is needed.
      • I created a second profile for me as the driver to adjust the seat higher and closer to the wheel in order to give rear occupants more room in addition to keeping my setting comfortable for driving. I select the profile after second and third row occupants have adjusted seats.
    • A quick single press forward still works if second row is latched.
Second row bottom seat adjuster
  • Adjust seat forward, back, and tilt within latched limits
  • Tip - Use this after long press adjustment for fine tuning for the second row occupant.
Main display seat controls
  • Quick single press and long press behaves the same as above "Second row arrows at top of seat" section on display
  • Tip - Display indicates when you have reached the forward latched limit moving to unlatched with a yellow highlight when unlatched.
  • There is a slight delay when using the long press and it moves pretty fast, so be attentive and proactive on the right timing to release to stop the seat in the right position.
In conclusion, I found that using the long press behaviors for third row adjusting is the most efficient way to adjust all seats allowing the right spacing between all seats. For fine tuning, after using long press actions, create second driver profile. Also, if you use the display, you get real time feedback for latched and unlatched conditions.

I hope this helps.