Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Front Side Laminated Glass

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Zoomit

Sep 1, 2015
SoCal
There’s a lot of chatter about the Model 3 refresh and one of the topics is whether it will get laminated glass on the sides to reduce cabin noise. The Electronic Parts Catalog now includes entries for laminated glass for the front side windows on both the 3 and Y so it appears this is coming, if not already being produced. The Model Y EPC listing is below.

Has anyone received a new Model Y with this glass? It will look like two panes bonded together and presumably different than the rear side glass. (The EPC lists only “naked” glass for the rear side windows.)

104ABE8F-12B0-4C77-9BA5-B66A2C82E065.jpeg

Will it be the same thickness as the single layer glass? Could this be a direct swap. I can’t imagine it’s too much to do a swap if nothing else needs to be replaced as well.

Would be really nice if it's a direct swap. But I doubt the glass will be the same thickness. The current glass is very thin compared to what I have seen on cars with laminated door glass. It may still fit if it's thicker, especially since they are frameless windows. I hope Tesla didn't change something else though that will make it impractical to swap.

Would be really nice if it's a direct swap. But I doubt the glass will be the same thickness. The current glass is very thin compared to what I have seen on cars with laminated door glass. It may still fit if it's thicker, especially since they are frameless windows. I hope Tesla didn't change something else though that will make it impractical to swap.

it will be. Your thinking about what you have seen on German cars I’m guessing.
The Tesla will get more along the lines of what comes on Lincoln. It still gives large improvements.

In my wife's previous car, her Buick Enclave, the front windows were laminated, and they were definitely thicker. I don't know how much noise reduction is worth it vs. most likely the high cost of replacement. If the cost is reasonable, and they are a direct swap, it may be worth swapping. The biggest difference I noticed in noise reduction is the SC replacing my windshield and roof glass.

In my wife's previous car, her Buick Enclave, the front windows were laminated, and they were definitely thicker. I don't know how much noise reduction is worth it vs. most likely the high cost of replacement. If the cost is reasonable, and they are a direct swap, it may be worth swapping. The biggest difference I noticed in noise reduction is the SC replacing my windshield and roof glass.
Did SC replace your windshield and roof rack because of noise? If so it must have been real bad, so many people complain about this and live with it.

I checked with my local SC and the current front door glass is $160 a piece. The laminated glass would be some where around $200? Not sure if a handful of decibels are worth $400+ labor to replace. You would be better off laying dynamat/hushmat in the doors and floor to cut out road noise.

Reactions: RNHurt
I would be curious to see the actual decible reduction from just a laminated pair of front windows. Historically, car sound dampening comes from door panels, floor boards, engine firewall, etc.

This article presents some of the details of the Lexus measures in effect to create a very quiet ride. Granted, these are ICE cars, but wind noise would be the same, and side glass is a small enough portion of the noise reduction, especially at freeway speed, that I cant imagine it being a noticeable difference. Worth a retrofit? Likely not without other mods. Worth waiting? Up to the owner, but not for me.

How Lexus LS 600h Became the World’s Quietest Passenger Car

Reactions: polyphonic54