Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Front Side Laminated Glass

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here’s mine. Picked up my MY yesterday. Front and back windows to show difference.

Alexcue, congratulations on the double pane fronts! Thank you for posting up. So it appears the Y is now shipping with the new front side window glass. I wonder how much quieter this makes the car?

Alexcue would you please also post up your thoughts on the suspension comfort of your new Y. There’s some talk about the new 2021’s having gotten a new softer ride. Possibly Tesla changed out the springs to make the ride less harsh and more comfortable. It would be great to hear your thoughts on how it rides. Also, if you have ridden or tested a 2020 Y and if you noticed a difference in ride comfort in your new one vs last years model I’m sure everyone would love to hear about it.

And please let us know if you’ve noticed any other improvements or changes in the Y that’s been talked about on the forums.

Thanks for sharing all your info on your new car!

I picked up my model Y today and it does have laminated front side windows. I do not see any other differences.

BTW, my Y is practically perfect. There’s just one scratch on the plastic wheel trim piece. I’m very pleased. It was the easiest car buying experience I’ve had.

CDCEE736-7C40-4A9D-ACA3-8172FBD156AC.jpeg

I have a 644xx VIN I’m picking up tomorrow. I’ll report back if it has dual pane front side windows.

I picked up my Model Y yesterday and did not even catch the dual pane glass until someone pointed it out today. Pics posted to compare my Model 3 with the Y. Does it make a noticeable difference? I doubt it. But its appreciated. Most sound, as reported by Lexus, comes from the engine (moot point here) and door panels/lower panels. The front windows alone may make a small difference, but I doubt anything other than a device will be able to detect the difference.

Attachments

• IMG_2752.jpg
    IMG_2752.jpg
    357.5 KB · Views: 101
  • IMG_2756.jpg
    IMG_2756.jpg
    404.3 KB · Views: 99
Alexcue, congratulations on the double pane fronts! Thank you for posting up. So it appears the Y is now shipping with the new front side window glass. I wonder how much quieter this makes the car?

Alexcue would you please also post up your thoughts on the suspension comfort of your new Y. There’s some talk about the new 2021’s having gotten a new softer ride. Possibly Tesla changed out the springs to make the ride less harsh and more comfortable. It would be great to hear your thoughts on how it rides. Also, if you have ridden or tested a 2020 Y and if you noticed a difference in ride comfort in your new one vs last years model I’m sure everyone would love to hear about it.

And please let us know if you’ve noticed any other improvements or changes in the Y that’s been talked about on the forums.

Thanks for sharing all your info on your new car!

you know, as far as ride I’m not complaining. The only reference point is a MYP that I test drove, but it was a Stealth Model. I think the Gemini tires make a difference in the overall ride comfort. My other cars are a Chevy Bolt and a Prius Prime. The handling is no comparison. The ride is much better than the Bolt, which I just can’t stand. You feel everything in that car.

I didn’t notice any other change. The car seemed pretty quiet to my GF and me, but remember our reference point.

one thing, the car was near perfect and isn’t going back for any after delivery service. Fit and finish for us was excellent. Just a couple of little delivery issues which I will take care of, but it’s trivial really.

Reactions: imola.zhp
I picked up my Model Y yesterday and did not even catch the dual pane glass until someone pointed it out today. Pics posted to compare my Model 3 with the Y. Does it make a noticeable difference? I doubt it. But its appreciated. Most sound, as reported by Lexus, comes from the engine (moot point here) and door panels/lower panels. The front windows alone may make a small difference, but I doubt anything other than a device will be able to detect the difference.

so you can’t tell any noticeable sound difference between your Y and 3? That’s a bummer

I would also be interested in someone measuring the difference in thickness between the front and back window. If you don't have an actual caliper, maybe just use a bent paperclip in a horseshoe shape to comparer the front and back thickness to let us know if there an an appreciable difference.

Reactions: Zoomit
Does anyone know if this is true? And, what VIN #'s started production of double pane glass on Model Y? If anyone has taken delivery of a new Y recently did yours have the new double pane glass windows?

Don't understand your question? I posted pictures of the windows showing the difference between the front and back in this thread. @Zoomit posted the new part number for the front windows that exist now. My Vin# is in my sig, so assume that from that point on they have it. Until someone posts a lower starting number. I believe the 60XXX do not have it.

Don't understand your question? I posted pictures of the windows showing the difference between the front and back in this thread. @Zoomit posted the new part number for the front windows that exist now. My Vin# is in my sig, so assume that from that point on they have it. Until someone posts a lower starting number. I believe the 60XXX do not have it.
The post was from a combined thread titled, “Just Saw A Story Double Pane Glass on Current Y Builds”.

The M3 shows no difference in window regulators, but there are 2 options each for interior door panels (2 for white, 2 for black interior). Not sure if that was because they made a design change over time, or is it a design change for the laminated glass.
MY21 Model 3 has matte finish on the door cards now rather than piano black. Maybe that’s why there’s two variants?

No up-charge like Audi (Porsche too?). Just switch all M3 and MY builds over.

I guess efficiency and simplified inventory is more important to Tesla than trying to squeeze some extra $$$ from customers.

Fortunately, I don't have any noise issues on my MY. I already find it super quiet compared to my old gasser.