Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Front Side Laminated Glass

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There’s a lot of chatter about the Model 3 refresh and one of the topics is whether it will get laminated glass on the sides to reduce cabin noise. The Electronic Parts Catalog now includes entries for laminated glass for the front side windows on both the 3 and Y so it appears this is coming, if not already being produced. The Model Y EPC listing is below.

Has anyone received a new Model Y with this glass? It will look like two panes bonded together and presumably different than the rear side glass. (The EPC lists only “naked” glass for the rear side windows.)

View attachment 599968

I took delivery of a 2021 Model Y last weekend. It does have laminated front windows.

• Helpful
Reactions: Zoomit
I also took delivery of a 2021 Model Y last week (March 12, 2021, built in Feb 2021) and the front door windows are MUCH thicker than the back doors. So much thicker that the passenger side doesn't quite go into the gasket when you close the door most of the time. Sometimes it does but you can see it run into the outside part of the gasket then pop behind and up inside the groove/slot at the top. When it does not make it, you can just push the glass inward from the outside and it pops in and up just fine. But you can't do this from the inside. Mobile service checked it at my house yesterday (March 18) but said they need to order some parts and set up another mobile service for next week. I wonder if it's internal door parts or a new gasket? We'll see next week.

Here's the front door glass. It's two pieces sandwiched together:
20210319_133739.jpg

Back windows are a single piece of glass:

20210319_133812.jpg

I also took delivery of a 2021 Model Y last week (March 12, 2021, built in Feb 2021) and the front door windows are MUCH thicker than the back doors. So much thicker that the passenger side doesn't quite go into the gasket when you close the door most of the time. Sometimes it does but you can see it run into the outside part of the gasket then pop behind and up inside the groove/slot at the top. When it does not make it, you can just push the glass inward from the outside and it pops in and up just fine. But you can't do this from the inside. Mobile service checked it at my house yesterday (March 18) but said they need to order some parts and set up another mobile service for next week. I wonder if it's internal door parts or a new gasket? We'll see next week.

I don't know exactly what is happening in your case but my understanding is that the angle of both the front and back edge of each window can be adjusted independently by Tesla. Though this involves removing the door panel so it's a bit more involved than just adjusting a bolt.

If they've ordered parts maybe there is something more needed to fully address your specific situation...

Reactions: TLLMRRJ
2nd mobile service visit took the door panel off and adjust all the possible angles of the glass and it goes up into the top grove most of the time now but every once in a while bumps into the outside edge of the top trim and will either stop and stick out or pop itself into the trim just fine. Got a 3rd mobile service visit scheduled for next week where they will replace the whole door gasket. I took a video today showing how the problem might be how far towards the rear of the car the glass goes on the passenger side vs the driver side. This is causing the passenger side glass to ride up on the tougher part of the gasket where it connects to the car frame vs the driver side where it rides up on the softer, squishier part of the gasket so it doesn't get pushed outward at all. I wonder if the passenger door glass is physically wider by a few mm compared to the driver door glass!?
Here you can see the passenger glass is very close to the pillar and riding on the tougher part of the gasket.
ModelYPassengerGlass.png

Here you can see the driver glass is much further away from the pillar glass so it rides up on the squishy part of the gasket.
ModelYDriverGlass.png

I think it's by design on the Y. The back windows should be tempered in the event of a fire as tempered glass is breakable. If you've got a scenario where there are children in the rear seats and the doors won't open (because there isn't an easily accessible manual override for adults let alone children) you need to be able to break the glass. In our Y we carry a glass breaker for this scenario and I didn't even consider that scenario until the incident in Texas happened where they found the driver dead in the back seat of his model S because on this model - there wasn't a manual override on the driver side door. Tragic loss.

I think it's by design on the Y. The back windows should be tempered in the event of a fire as tempered glass is breakable. If you've got a scenario where there are children in the rear seats and the doors won't open (because there isn't an easily accessible manual override for adults let alone children) you need to be able to break the glass. In our Y we carry a glass breaker for this scenario and I didn't even consider that scenario until the incident in Texas happened where they found the driver dead in the back seat of his model S because on this model - there wasn't a manual override on the driver side door. Tragic loss.
You sure? Autoblog mentioned this...

"The interior mechanism is essentially a traditional-style door release pull with two stops. The first stop triggers an electronic door release, and opens the door. Open to full extension, and a mechanical door release operates, even if there's a loss of power — it isn't confusing to operate."

Sounds even easier than 3/Y

Emergency services should probably just get in the habit of busting a window instead of trying to get to door handles. I know they mentioned they didn't have time in the Tesla case, which means they might not have had time to actually get anyone out anyway (maybe they could have got a door open but if the passenger was unconscious they might not have had time to get a seat belt off).

First responders should just rush the vehicle with some hand tool to bust out the window right away and reach for the interior door handle.

Either way it sounds like this fire happened extremely fast and there might not have been enough time either way. Maybe the next step is to fireproof cabins more?

I have always carried a glass breaker/seatbelt cutter in every one of my cars. It's not just important for fire but also if you drive off a bridge.