Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Front side panel popped away from clips - can I fix that myself?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Due to bad luck/stupidity (flexible rubber parking mat got stuck to my tire due to wet tires and jammed into the wheel well when I went into reverse), a panel popped off the clips on one end.

IMG_5992.JPG
IMG_5993.JPG

Is this something I can fix myself? There is one screw hole which looks like it's held by a torx head screw that I don't have a driver for, but it looks like that screw hole pulled loose anyway, so really I'd just need to get the rectangular holes seated again.

I tried just jamming it back there but there was some resistance and nothing clicked closed - it looks like maybe the clips need to be held open first before I can push it on? Or was I just not pushing hard enough? I'm having a hard time figuring out the mechanism of the clip because I don't have a clear view of it.

I guess I'd rather just drive around looking like an idiot with this panel poking out until my next trip to the service center if there's any danger of me breaking something off by pushing too hard.

early builds (early vins) had an issue with this, and the service center took care of this for me. i recommend asking your local service center -- you might be pleasantly surprised at their response

Simply snap it back in. There will also be a T25 bolt inside wheel well that needs to be tightened or installed. There's no reason for that panel to pop out unless that bolt is missing or that portion of bumper is broken.

Thanks. Yes, the screw hole on the panel had torn thanks to that rubber parking stopper thing getting jammed up in the wheel well, forcing the panel to pop off.
But you were right - I just loosened that torx bolt a tiny bit, snapped the thing back on (it took quite a lot of force, which is why I was hesitant to try before), and tightened the bolt and it looks ~as good as new.