Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Front Skid Paper (aeroshield) torn again

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So my skid paper is ripped again. I know we had heavy rain here and the roads were quite wet a number of weeks bad which is when I'm sure it happened. Heard noise a bit from below the car for a bit now, but didn't look until my wife said there was something dragging because in all honestly I couldn't believe that Tesla would replace a part that is literally made out of paper with another that is made out of paper. So this is twice that the skid paper has failed when it gets wet.

So is the skid paper even needed or should I just let the rest of it disintegrate? If it is needed, should I just get a metal one? Any cons with those? Better suggestion than the metal?

It's not made out of paper, it's made from glass-fiber-reinforced polypropylene. Try tearing it with your hands. And it doesn't absorb water.
Most aero covers are damaged because the car runs over some debris or the retaining bolts work loose and fall out.
Having said all that, the aero covers are now made from a different type of plastic, which is stronger, so just get a replacement and make sure all the bolts are fastened as they should be.

It's not made out of paper, it's made from glass-fiber-reinforced polypropylene. Try tearing it with your hands. And it doesn't absorb water.
Most aero covers are damaged because the car runs over some debris or the retaining bolts work loose and fall out.
Having said all that, the aero covers are now made from a different type of plastic, which is stronger, so just get a replacement and make sure all the bolts are fastened as they should be.
It does absorb water, the first one broke when I literally drove in the rain the first time and I hit nothing. This one also, there was a lot of rain. Further, I did tear it with my hand right off the car. I heard the plastic is only for the Model Y and I read those crack.

It does absorb water, the first one broke when I literally drove in the rain the first time and I hit nothing. This one also, there was a lot of rain. Further, I did tear it with my hand right off the car. I heard the plastic is only for the Model Y and I read those crack.
I doesn't absorb water and it's not easy to tear.
You can buy a MY one. It fits the M3.

Just thought about this. Since clearly the paper one is getting water on it and ripping as multiple people in multiple forums have noted especially in Florida, What happens with the aluminum ones? If I drive through some standing water, obviously try to avoid huge flooded areas, but if I go through some that would have torn the old one, pretty much any water LOL, will these dissipate the water so it doesn't cause more of an issue?

Just thought about this. Since clearly the paper one is getting water on it and ripping as multiple people in multiple forums have noted especially in Florida, What happens with the aluminum ones? If I drive through some standing water, obviously try to avoid huge flooded areas, but if I go through some that would have torn the old one, pretty much any water LOL, will these dissipate the water so it doesn't cause more of an issue?
Imagine a small 14' fishing boat made of fabric vs one made of aluminum. Fabric undertrays cause a lot of friction and drag, when driven thru deep puddles, thus the tearing, etc. Aluminum ones should be fine.

Imagine a small 14' fishing boat made of fabric vs one made of aluminum. Fabric undertrays cause a lot of friction and drag, when driven thru deep puddles, thus the tearing, etc. Aluminum ones should be fine.
Yes, but the water gets on the fabric, weighs it down and it tears. I don't see any holes in these aluminum skids so I assume the water just sloshes out and the aluminum can handle the weight?

Kinda like RC cars and Helicopters, you replace all the plastic with metal and instead of having give, now everything just bends etc so its not necessarily better. Just trying to confirm before I do this.