TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Front splash guards not connected on the bottom?

Discussion in 'Roadster' started by tvuolo, Mar 10, 2015.

1. tvuolo

tvuolo Member

I noticed the front splash guards are loose at the bottom on both sides of my 1.5. Is this normal, or should they be attached in some way down there? Maybe "splash guard" isn't the correct term, so please correct me. It's the plastic bit between the front of the car and the tire.
    IMG_1582.jpg IMG_1584.jpg

2. tonybelding

tonybelding Active Member

For whatever it's worth, the seem to flop around fairly loosely on my 2.5 as well, and I had wondered about this too. I decided it's probably made that way on purpose -- if they were secured, they'd more likely end up breaking or tearing off.

3. Gary1M

Gary1M Member

Just checked my 1.5 and it looks exactly the same.

4. MLAUTO

MLAUTO Member

They are kept flush on the outside (paint side) by adhesive tape, but only the shape of the rubber holds them in place on the lower portion pictured. The older they get the more they get distorted. You can use some clear silicone to secure it back in place if desired.

5. dhrivnak

dhrivnak Active Member

There are 3 10mm bolts that secure the bottom so they be should be attached. The bolts are not easy to see or get to with the folks 8 the rubber.

6. spaceballs

spaceballs Member

Are you sure? here is my old bad one, I only see three holes on the side, and one on the bottom to connect it to the car.
    a1.png
    a2.png
    a3.png

btw the replacement part number is "SPAT W-ARCH FR RH (6003372)"

7. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

There is a double-sided foam tape strip that helps keep the splash guard in place. It tends to get pulled apart - especially if your mud flap bottoms out (a not-so-rare occurrence). I think it's that grey strip inside the guard in your pictures.

8. tvuolo

tvuolo Member

That's a pretty good idea. I'll clean mine up, use double sided tape, and report back. I have some of the tape used to apply letters to the car. That should work.

9. dhrivnak

dhrivnak Active Member

You are correct and I was wrong. There are 3 screws on the side and one on the bottom.