Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Front Sunroof Tinting

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The OE front sunroof glass/tint seems adequate for heat mitigation. So is there any other benefit to tinting the front panel? Or perhaps disadvantages in tinting it? I'm having Signature in Costa Mesa do my 3 in a couple of weeks, but I'm really in the fence over the front sunroof panel.

i have been as well, but at the end of the day, you may not like the look. since your rear window is partially tinted, you will have an interrupted appearance to the color and shade of your glass. this may be minor to you but i'm not if i would like it.

As an FYI, I had Expel Prime XR ceramic tint (35% all around) applied to all window surfaces, except for the front windshield.
The installer used one single piece to do the entire rear glass.
Prior to choosing 35% tint all around, I had two concerns:
1. I would see/notice a difference on the rear glass because the lower part of that glass already comes with a darker tint from the factory.
2. Using 35% tint on the front sunroof glass would make it too dark, and I would not be able to see/enjoy the sky view as much.

Well, after having/using my vehicle for the last 4 months, I can tell you that both of the above are complete non-issues.
- When standing outside of the vehicle, I don't even see/notice any difference on the rear glass even though it actually has two different shades. I think the single piece of 35% window tint helps to blend in any transition that may be more apparent/visible on an untouched OEM glass.
- With 35% tint on the front sunroof section, I think that also helps to blend the entire glass roof together and gives the appearance that everything is one continuous shade.

So, in my case/opinion, applying 35% tint to the entire glass roof (rear glass and front sunroof glass) actually made everything aesthetically "better". Your results/opinions may vary....

Reactions: McMoo
Common options:
1: Tint up to the top electronic line on the back window only
2: Tint the full back window including the roof
3: Tint the front roof window (With or without either of the back window options)

Doing #1, you cannot see any difference from the outside and from the inside you can only see the darker section if you look that way. It's not apparent in the rear view mirror. But it is there overall. However some tint shops can/will only do this and not the full panoramic roof.

Number 2 will avoid the transition line, but some shops cannot do it, and many that can will have a difficult time doing so. That's a lot of glass. o_O Three out of four shops nearest me would need to use two separate pieces of tint to do it.

Tinting the full roof glass...
Generally doesn't reduce heat that much.
Doesn't affect UV by a relevant amount. The glass in autos already blocks most UV.
Doesn't actually (in most cases*) reduce the VTL that much. VTL is multiplicative, not additive. That is, 50% tint and 50% tint together does not block 100% of light, but rather blocks 75% light. So 35% VLT tint is just over 1/3rd transmissive. If it's put on 3% VLT tint, it will only reduce the total transmission by 2% of the outside levels (65% of the inside levels) and make it 1% VLT tint in the end.

(* Some tints block light in different bands differently, so the percentages when combining tint can vary some, but not too dramatically.)

Anyway, some people like the reduction in glare from above. Some people can't tell a difference when the sun is shining down on them. Some people don't like the reduction in seeing the night sky. Some people never look up in their car. Some people think it's just too expensive to bother.

It's all up to your personal sensibilities and preferences.

I left the front roof untinted. You won't notice it from the outside.

I bought the tesla mesh roof sunshade for the summer and I've taken it off for the winter. I like being able to get a little more light in the cabin during the gray months.

I did all glass on my car, including the front sunroof. For me, it was a must as the glare when driving was unacceptable to me.

I work in Irvine near Jamboree and Main if you want to arrange meeting so you can see it and decide for yourself.

I tinted my front sunroof mainly to keep the heat out and I’m glad I did. I used 70% and did not notice a change in the color but it kept the heat off my head. I used Johnson ceramic IR that has a high heat rejection. I was going to go with the 80% but the specs had the 70% as better heat rejection.

I also tinted all windows including Windshield (80%) and sunroof and top and back window with 5%. I like the look but it is hard to see out from the front sunroof especially at night and as you guessed it seeing out of back window is a pain at night. If i had to do over again, i would do 30-40% and likely even lighter on the front sunroof. I am not sure if it helps with keeping heat, UV, IR out depending on the as @Manhattaninoc says as Tesla i believe by default has top glas UV and IR protected, but i agree with 70% top.

I don't live in a super hot area, but it does still get in the high 90s here in the summer often. My tint installer would not tint the front sunroof to begin with, but I have never noticed any heat issues even on the worst days, unlike my wife's X, where I clearly feel it through that expansive front windshield.