Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

front suspension aggressively squeaking

dmurphy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Dec 7, 2018
New Jersey - Morris County
Control arm ball joints are not a maintenance item. On any car. Ever.

Errr..... no.

I'll agree that, today, many (but not all) new cars come with sealed ball joints. But that's a fairly recent development. "Chassis lube" historically has always included ball joint greasing. Even as recent as the late 90s, maybe early 00's even - chassis lubrication, including ball joints, was listed in the maintenance schedule on most vehicles.

So to say it's not a maintenance item on any car, ever? Flat out incorrect.

afadeev

Feb 28, 2019
NYC
I'll agree that, today, many (but not all) new cars come with sealed ball joints. But that's a fairly recent development.

Perhaps we need to become more specific with terms we use. What is "recent"?
I've been driving and DIY-ing on cars since mid-90s, and have never had to perform any maintenance on any of the ball joints, bushings, or bearings. Ever.
They all work until they fail, then you replace them.

The only exception are track cars and track parts, where you replace perfectly good stock with over-engineered / over-priced noisier and squeakier alternatives, and over-maintain everything. But that's another category of care altogether.

"Chassis lube" historically has always included ball joint greasing. Even as recent as the late 90s, maybe early 00's even - chassis lubrication, including ball joints, was listed in the maintenance schedule on most vehicles.

To be exact, all the cars I've owned were either German or Japanese engineered and manufactured.
None ever needed or required "chassis lube", "anti-rust undercoating", or "muffler bearing" replacements.
Those phrases have been reserved for use as corny garage and bedroom jokes.

Perhaps, "chassis lube" was a "thing" with sloppily designed and manufactured US vehicles?

So to say it's not a maintenance item on any car, ever? Flat out incorrect.

OK, lets call it EV-only maintenance item, and start tracking it in the cost/benefit of EV vs. ICE ownership?

Last edited:

dedas101

Mar 25, 2018
Seattle
Tesla needs to have a recall or keep this under warranty. I had the same issue happen from one day to the next with significant annoying squeaking overnight. Two weeks to have service but they already knew the issue and planned the repair with the front bilateral control arms with the exact explanation. $800+ outside of warranty. Only 25K and Oct 2018 received.

Reactions: afadeev

afadeev

Feb 28, 2019
NYC
Does anyone know what warranty, if any, the control arm replacement carries?
Based on the language in my invoice for in-warranty control arms replacement, you get either +12 months on the replacement parts, or the remainder of your basic 4 yr/50,000 mile warranty, whichever is longer:

1632585992884.png

I don't know how long the replacements (part #s: 1044326-00-J and 1044321-00-J) will last, but my originals crapped out at 28K miles.

HTH,
a

Reactions: android04

rainforest

Aug 21, 2016
Canada
I asked SC to replace both control arms, but they are only willing to reseal. I guess nothing I can do to get them to replace?

Attachments

• F7A07DA1-E968-44EA-B83D-66D6304F25FF_1_201_a.jpeg
    F7A07DA1-E968-44EA-B83D-66D6304F25FF_1_201_a.jpeg
    147.7 KB · Views: 10

afadeev

Feb 28, 2019
NYC
I asked SC to replace both control arms, but they are only willing to reseal. I guess nothing I can do to get them to replace?

Sure there is.
1). Do NOT approve this initial estimate.
2). Message the SC that you do NOT accept lubing as a solution, and want both control arms replaced.

"Must push lube" is Elon's latest money saving trick.
You, and your SC techs, can overcome it, but it will require some persistence on your part.

More info in this post: front suspension aggressively squeaking

Reactions: texas_star_TM3
Oct 28, 2019
Texas
sealing / lubing the control arms is a band-aid with the only goal to close out your warranty claim for the least amount of $ and... have it fail next time outside of warranty. the lubing / sealing doesnt fix a faulty design ... hence later production models are already on the 4th or 5th iteration of a control arm with changes.

Reactions: afadeev

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC