Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

front suspension aggressively squeaking

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Control arm ball joints are not a maintenance item. On any car. Ever.

Errr..... no.

I'll agree that, today, many (but not all) new cars come with sealed ball joints. But that's a fairly recent development. "Chassis lube" historically has always included ball joint greasing. Even as recent as the late 90s, maybe early 00's even - chassis lubrication, including ball joints, was listed in the maintenance schedule on most vehicles.

So to say it's not a maintenance item on any car, ever? Flat out incorrect.

I'll agree that, today, many (but not all) new cars come with sealed ball joints. But that's a fairly recent development.

Perhaps we need to become more specific with terms we use. What is "recent"?
I've been driving and DIY-ing on cars since mid-90s, and have never had to perform any maintenance on any of the ball joints, bushings, or bearings. Ever.
They all work until they fail, then you replace them.

The only exception are track cars and track parts, where you replace perfectly good stock with over-engineered / over-priced noisier and squeakier alternatives, and over-maintain everything. But that's another category of care altogether.

"Chassis lube" historically has always included ball joint greasing. Even as recent as the late 90s, maybe early 00's even - chassis lubrication, including ball joints, was listed in the maintenance schedule on most vehicles.

To be exact, all the cars I've owned were either German or Japanese engineered and manufactured.
None ever needed or required "chassis lube", "anti-rust undercoating", or "muffler bearing" replacements.
Those phrases have been reserved for use as corny garage and bedroom jokes.

Perhaps, "chassis lube" was a "thing" with sloppily designed and manufactured US vehicles?

So to say it's not a maintenance item on any car, ever? Flat out incorrect.

OK, lets call it EV-only maintenance item, and start tracking it in the cost/benefit of EV vs. ICE ownership?

Last edited:
Tesla needs to have a recall or keep this under warranty. I had the same issue happen from one day to the next with significant annoying squeaking overnight. Two weeks to have service but they already knew the issue and planned the repair with the front bilateral control arms with the exact explanation. $800+ outside of warranty. Only 25K and Oct 2018 received.

Reactions: afadeev
Does anyone know what warranty, if any, the control arm replacement carries?
Based on the language in my invoice for in-warranty control arms replacement, you get either +12 months on the replacement parts, or the remainder of your basic 4 yr/50,000 mile warranty, whichever is longer:

1632585992884.png

I don't know how long the replacements (part #s: 1044326-00-J and 1044321-00-J) will last, but my originals crapped out at 28K miles.

HTH,
a

Reactions: android04
I asked SC to replace both control arms, but they are only willing to reseal. I guess nothing I can do to get them to replace?

Sure there is.
1). Do NOT approve this initial estimate.
2). Message the SC that you do NOT accept lubing as a solution, and want both control arms replaced.

"Must push lube" is Elon's latest money saving trick.
You, and your SC techs, can overcome it, but it will require some persistence on your part.

More info in this post: front suspension aggressively squeaking

Reactions: texas_star_TM3
sealing / lubing the control arms is a band-aid with the only goal to close out your warranty claim for the least amount of $ and... have it fail next time outside of warranty. the lubing / sealing doesnt fix a faulty design ... hence later production models are already on the 4th or 5th iteration of a control arm with changes.

Reactions: afadeev
I started getting much worse squeaking noise on my Model 3 and it got so bad that people were scared of sitting in it. I could not get an appointment anywhere because I was travelling cross-country. Finally got an appointment today and have been waiting all day for someone to tell me what's wrong with it. One Tesla SC mechanic had told me it's most likely a Control Arm issue and it will get worse as I drive more. Mine is a 2018 model with 60K miles. It sounds like a suspension, steering column issue because of misalignment. but I won't know until SC confirms it. I am more tired of their service than anything else. I can't take it anywhere else. I am 100% at their mercy. I don't know who to talk to. Any help from others' experience? I am in Rockville, MD SC.

I started getting much worse squeaking noise on my Model 3 and it got so bad that people were scared of sitting in it. I could not get an appointment anywhere because I was travelling cross-country. Finally got an appointment today and have been waiting all day for someone to tell me what's wrong with it. One Tesla SC mechanic had told me it's most likely a Control Arm issue and it will get worse as I drive more. Mine is a 2018 model with 60K miles. It sounds like a suspension, steering column issue because of misalignment. but I won't know until SC confirms it. I am more tired of their service than anything else. I can't take it anywhere else. I am 100% at their mercy. I don't know who to talk to. Any help from others' experience? I am in Rockville, MD SC.
It definitely sounds like the upper control arm joint is making your noise. It could be very loud and embarrassing, but is safe to keep driving for a while. An independent mechanic can definitely replace the control arms with a newer version of the OEM ones that you can buy from Tesla or from eBay. There are at least 3 aftermarket replacements that I know of as well. This can even be done yourself possibly if you have the tools and some knowledge, but the alignment should be checked afterward. See this video

About 1.5 years ago, my 2020 M3 started to have squeaking noises, which gradually got worse. With threads like this one and others, it seemed like a common problem. Tesla SC replaced the upper control arms and the noises went away. Now, perhaps 1.5yrs later, the squeaking noises (or similar ones anyways) are starting to come back. Is it seriously possible that the control arms are having problems again. Is this going to be a problem every 2 years?

Mine did. I ordered a salvaged improved version (G) of the right front upper control arm assembly that had 17k miles through eBay delivered for $60 a couple years ago. It was quiet for a year and at the first slight creak, I separated it so I could fully wiggle it and it's been quiet for six months. The left side I've had to do the wiggle trick each month now and am looking for a salvaged one.

About 1.5 years ago, my 2020 M3 started to have squeaking noises, which gradually got worse. With threads like this one and others, it seemed like a common problem. Tesla SC replaced the upper control arms and the noises went away. Now, perhaps 1.5yrs later, the squeaking noises (or similar ones anyways) are starting to come back. Is it seriously possible that the control arms are having problems again. Is this going to be a problem every 2 years?
It will likely continue to be a problem seeing the replacement ones they put in 1.5 years ago did not solve the issue. 2023 models are supposedly getting new aluminum ones that may be better.

Upper control arm squeaking? $8 fix and 15 minutes of your time.
Watch this video, get $8 RedNTacky Grease from HomeDepot (or similar grease, read somewhere marine grease good too).
I modified the approach using an 18Gauge needle and a 10 mL syringe.
I was able to put air suspension in high and there was wide open easy access.
Injected 8 mL (seemed like the max) and it instantly fixed the problem. See the picture. I have a 2018 Model X.
Good luck!

(I donated to his PayPal, cuz this fix is just awesome!)

Attachments

• Upper Control Grease.jpg
    Upper Control Grease.jpg
    460.6 KB · Views: 111
Upper control arm squeaking? $8 fix and 15 minutes of your time.
Watch this video, get $8 RedNTacky Grease from HomeDepot (or similar grease, read somewhere marine grease good too).
I modified the approach using an 18Gauge needle and a 10 mL syringe.
I was able to put air suspension in high and there was wide open easy access.
Injected 8 mL (seemed like the max) and it instantly fixed the problem. See the picture. I have a 2018 Model X.
Good luck!

(I donated to his PayPal, cuz this fix is just awesome!)

I would recommend this Grease for a lifetime satisfaction. I used it to lubricate the squeaky pulley bearings on my Mercedes using a hypodermic needle and it has not squeaked now for over 3 years now.

613D067F-9028-4F74-B9D4-25DDD243C993.jpeg

Last edited:
I have a 2019 S. The squeak was so bad that I took it to my nearest Service location in Atlanta. He said there was nothing wrong with it.
I took a day off from work and drove from out of state there.
It is still squeaking.
Very frustrating.
I did not want to take it back to them. Are there any non-Tesla repair shops that anybody would feel comfortable with?