TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Front suspension clunk

Discussion in 'Model S: Driving Dynamics' started by doctorwho, Oct 15, 2015.

1. doctorwho

doctorwho Member

I have an 85 with air suspension, 5 months old. I'm getting a very intermittent clunk, only when the suspension is set on high, and only near full lock (right or left) when travelling around 5-10km/hr. I can't reliably replicate it so I'm reluctant to take it to the service centre where I can almost guarantee that it will be silent. Has anyone come across this problem before?

2. supratachophobia

supratachophobia Active Member

Have them check for play in your upper control arms.

3. MrJones390

MrJones390 Space Boat

This is a well documented problem and your service center will take care of it. They'll most likely replace the drive unit.

4. trils0n

trils0n 2013 P85

Not sure why the drive unit for a RWD car would be replaced for a front suspension problem. There is at least 1 TSB for front suspension/steering creaking sound near full lock that involves shims. They will also re-torque front suspension bolts to proper specs.

5. Spurkey

Spurkey P04251

My car did this too in exactly the same manner as you described, as the problem gets worse the noise happens at any suspension height. It's a control arm issue, it has nothing to do with the drive unit.

6. doctorwho

doctorwho Member

Thanks people:smile:

7. Alipapa

Alipapa Member

I had mine fixed 3 times, and it happened again after annual service...

Having them to fix it the 4th time alone with new motor (the current one keep making dental cleaning noise from 16kph onward) installation next month .