Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Front Suspension - Hydraulic Lift

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

wycolo

May 16, 2012
WA & WY
Anyone have ideas about making a 4 inch (minimum) hydraulic lift cylinder to append to (shortened) front springs? This to mimic the ModelS air lift suspension which offers: normal. high, & very high positions. I have done only a bit of research so far and have yet to enter the weird world of jumpy-cars which may well have this kind of kit available. I'm thinking a circular cylinder that wraps around the center shock and is actually an extension of the coil springs, with the coil length being reduced accordingly. If the pump is powerful enough* to create a jumpy Roadster, so much the better! :D

* like with boom-box audio a separate battery will be required.
--

The problem with hydraulics is they usually use a shortened coilover on a ram to replicate the suspension strut. The roadster already has a very short shock so that way is our, jumping cars have no shocks just springs so again that’s out. Something like the Porsche Cayenne Air shocks may work but they don’t come up and need a compressor to run.

You could make a counterlevered base for the shock on an offset fulcrum as I assume you only want to use it for a specific task and not drive with it. It would need to lock in the lower position for normal road use.

If it was a screw it could be drivable in any position. Electric parking brake screw rams don't generate enough travel as usually employed but would certainly be sturdy. Extending the screw length would be preferred to adding leverage. Need to get busy with some hardware!!
--