Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Front Suspension Knuckle Too Close toTire

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What kind of car/tire/rims are we talking about here? While it's probably okay for most everyday usage, the only problem that I could see is that it's on an AWD car and you'd want to put tire chains on the front.

I have the stock 18" Aero Wheels and it's the AWD car.

It's fine, i've run some MUCH larger tires (for short periods of time) on track and they held up fine. They were like 20" wheels with 275/35 tires which means ~4% larger diameter than stock. Had to do a tiny bit of grinding on the knuckle to make them clear though (on raised material, not structural members)

Unplugged Performance on Instagram: “Track ready for Sunday’s sold out @teslacorsa 3! We will be testing quite a few new prototype parts on this customer car! #tesla…”

Anyone else feel that the front suspension knuckles are too close to the top of the tires? Seems like there is only a gap of about an inch.

It's the same way on Model S. A Miss is as good as a mile one inch is all you need. they're never going to hit or come in contact unless there's some type of a failure in which case you were not going to do good anyway so it doesn't matter.

The only difficulty would be is if you wanted to put oversized wheels / tires on the vehicle otherwise it's a non-issue

It's the same way on Model S. A Miss is as good as a mile one inch is all you need. they're never going to hit or come in contact unless there's some type of a failure in which case you were not going to do good anyway so it doesn't matter.

The only difficulty would be is if you wanted to put oversized wheels / tires on the vehicle otherwise it's a non-issue

Yep, I was going to say "There is an expression in machine shops, 'A miss is as good as a mile'" - who needs more than an inch? Plenty of room for chains. Heck, if you do all the permutaions etc on how things flex, of you miss by .001, it is good enough

Thanks for all the responses. I figured it was okay, just not used to seeing metal so close to a tire. Am I correct and thinking that the knuckle also moves up and down, in unison with the tire?
Yes, it is rigidly connected to the hub.
s-l1600.jpg

Reactions: Bill Foster