Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Front suspension, sway bar links possible rattling.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2013 S85 with 137,000 miles. NO accident history. No air suspension. I have noticed that the front suspension has a rattling sound when going over small bumps at very low speed in both forward and reverse.

Upon inspection I noticed that the sway bar links appear to be wearing and have more play than when new. The sway bar bushings appear to be OK. But I suspect that they may need replacement do to age and mileage.

Has anyone experienced these same issues and if so did they perform these repairs as a DYI? Part numbers would be helpful if someone has a parts manual.

I see used parts available on eBay. Not bushings but the complete sway bar and links. Suggestions are welcome.

This is from when I had mine replaced at the SC. I do have air suspension though.

"Concern: Customer: Clunking rattling noise heard from front of vehicle over slow speed rough road surface.

Corrections: Control Arm - Upper - Front - RH (1st Generation) (Dual Motor)

Found noise coming from right front upper control arm and sway bar links. Replaced right front upper control arm and both sway bar links. Test drove and confirmed noise is no longer present.

Parts Replaced or Added

Part Quantity

FR SUSP UCA ASSY RH (6008930-00-A) 1

FR SUSP STABAR LINK LH (6007098-00-A) 1

FR SUSP STABAR LINK RH (6008915-00-A) 1

NUT HF M10x1.25 PC10 PTP COLORED 8 (2007090-00-C)"

I went today for the same problem on my P85D

Description du problème: Customer: bruit a l'avant du vehicule a basse vitesse
Corrections: Front Suspension (including Hubs) General Diagnosis
Effectuerr essai routiere - bruit confirme.
Corrections: Control Arm - Upper - Front - LH (2nd Generation)
Remplacer le bras superieure en avant cote gauche - verifier tout est correct, aucun bruit abnormale entendu.
Pièce remplacée ou ajoutée
Pièce Quantité
FR UPR CTRL ARM, LH, DUAL MOTOR 1 (1043965-00-B)

2013 S85 with 137,000 miles. NO accident history. No air suspension. I have noticed that the front suspension has a rattling sound when going over small bumps at very low speed in both forward and reverse.

Upon inspection I noticed that the sway bar links appear to be wearing and have more play than when new. The sway bar bushings appear to be OK. But I suspect that they may need replacement do to age and mileage.

Has anyone experienced these same issues and if so did they perform these repairs as a DYI? Part numbers would be helpful if someone has a parts manual.

I see used parts available on eBay. Not bushings but the complete sway bar and links. Suggestions are welcome.
I also had the same issue covered under warranty. 2013 w/ 32555 miles at the time. Hoping the D-part lasts longer...
FR SUSP STABAR PASSIVE SUSP
(6007084-00-D)

Over the past several months I noticed a quiet knocking coming from the front end while going slowly over small bumps. Tesla Minneapolis couldn't have been more attentive. The technician rode with me for a few minutes to confirm what I was hearing. They gave me a loaner for the day. I was told that, "the passenger front swaybar drop link has play in the ball joint, and will need to be replaced".

I went to pick up my car later that afternoon, (bracing for the out-of-warranty bill), only to find my car washed, vacuumed, courtesy inspected, and a bill for $42.84 for parts, 43.75 for labor. :)

Front Stabar Link- Dual Motor 1030603-00-B

2015 85D 75,000 mi (No Air suspension)

Reactions: Kristoffer Helle
I brought my 2018 S in for that rattle, mostly R front. like others I only hear it at slow speeds bumpy, driving me nuts, we drove around and they are ordering some parts, i pray it goes away. I think it was there when I bought it, but Im not sure, they implied it was a pothole issue. Will see. Would love to get that rattle gone.

Dabbler, I had this noise appear just recently on my 2013 85S with 122,000 miles no air suspension. I need to acquire a manual too, I started to look for the sound but gave up. I didn’t know what it was so took it to the service center Saturday. They told me today it was the right side sway bar link and I approved the repair over the phone (I’m on travel out of state). $140.97 for the repair.

I just got a bill for rattling noise on turns which required the front suspension lower forelinks to be replaced costing me $3,300 dollars. I've never had the suspension go bad on me over 40 years of car ownership but this seems like a vehicle defect that should be covered but my car is out of warranty. Service claimed that I had to change it as the front steering could fail causing the car to lose control and crash within a month. Since the car only has 85,000 km and 2014 model, the dealer claimed the car was out of warranty. I don't see how this could be anything but a design flaw and covered by the company. Anyone else having these issues. I saw some thread on real failures which Tesla covered through Goodwill Contract. Thanks, Ken

Hi there! I realize this thread is a bit old, but I was following along and believe I have the same sway bar linkage issue as others have described. Anyway, it looks like that service manual link is kaput. Does anybody have a link they are willing to share? I want to DIY this job. Not sure if it matters, but my vehicle is a 2016 75D. Thanks for the help in advance!!

Not much to the sway bar links

Screenshot_20200428_001327.png

• Love
Reactions: xAgyex and mike_j