Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Front suspension, sway bar links possible rattling.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just for future reference, I sent in a service ticket to ask about the parts, they are indeed different. The dual motor sway bar links are 1030603-00 (at least for my 85D). The ends are 180 degrees apart from each other vs 45 degrees or so on the RWD version. They wanted ~270 to diagnose and replace at the SC.

Yes, but they're cheaper (~$10 each) and more importantly readily available from RockAuto. I don't have a local SC and I'm trying to support 3rd party vendors selling Tesla parts whenever possible. It's possible that the rockauto parts are from an OEM supplier anyway.
IMHO sway bar links are relatively generic wear items,.. front seems easy to inspect and replace as needed,..

I just got a bill for rattling noise on turns which required the front suspension lower forelinks to be replaced costing me $3,300 dollars. I've never had the suspension go bad on me over 40 years of car ownership but this seems like a vehicle defect that should be covered but my car is out of warranty. Service claimed that I had to change it as the front steering could fail causing the car to lose control and crash within a month. Since the car only has 85,000 km and 2014 model, the dealer claimed the car was out of warranty. I don't see how this could be anything but a design flaw and covered by the company. Anyone else having these issues. I saw some thread on real failures which Tesla covered through Goodwill Contract. Thanks, Ken
See the thread I just posted (sway bar+link replacement: safety issue or minor noise issue?). I am being told by Tesla attorney that replacing front sway bar/link is a minor noise issue (that is, not a safety issue). However, your post indicates that Tesla had a very different opinion in your case with the same issue when the car is out of warranty. Do you have a document (perhaps service order) given to you by Tesla where they claim your issue to be a safety issue? If so, I could use that in my lemon law claim.

I've had good luck with Beck Arnley products on other cars - they seem to be good OEM (or better) quality parts.

Here are the part numbers relevant to this thread on the 16-21 S:

Front Sway Bar End Links: Amazon.com: Beck Arnley 1018543 Stabilizer End Link : Automotive
Rear Sway Bar End Links: Amazon.com: Beck Arnley 1018544 Stabilizer End Link : Automotive

Driver Side Upper Control Arm, Left: Amazon.com: Beck Arnley 1028249 Control Arm With Ball Joint : Automotive
Driver Side Upper Control Arm, Right: Amazon.com: Beck Arnley 1028250 Control Arm With Ball Joint : Automotive

Service Manual Links:

Last edited:
Available on Rockauto now too for slightly cheaper. I also checked with the SC and they're ~50 each from Tesla. Personally I'd get the amazon ones as returns tend to be easiest but good to have options. Up until a few months ago all I could find other than the official parts were for RWD cars.

1636217530037.png

Available on Rockauto now too for slightly cheaper. I also checked with the SC and they're ~50 each from Tesla. Personally I'd get the amazon ones as returns tend to be easiest but good to have options. Up until a few months ago all I could find other than the official parts were for RWD cars.

View attachment 729985

I ordered the Beck Arnley ones from Amazon (my link above) and they look perfectly identical to the MEVOTECH ones on RockAuto. I'm guessing BA just re-brands the Mevotech ones.

I ordered the Beck Arnley ones from Amazon (my link above) and they look perfectly identical to the MEVOTECH ones on RockAuto. I'm guessing BA just re-brands the Mevotech ones.
If you can take pictures, notes, video, whatever when you're doing the job that would be great. I looked at doing it back when I was getting the clunking noise and it looked like to get them off you'd need to remove the brake rotors. One of the sway bar link nuts is buried inside the knuckle, it's not obvious what the best method to remove it is.

If you can take pictures, notes, video, whatever when you're doing the job that would be great. I looked at doing it back when I was getting the clunking noise and it looked like to get them off you'd need to remove the brake rotors. One of the sway bar link nuts is buried inside the knuckle, it's not obvious what the best method to remove it is.

With a 15mm socket, an impact wrench, and this:

Amazon.com

You can do it without taking off the brake rotor.

• Helpful
Reactions: dmwahl