Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Front suspension, sway bar links possible rattling.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well, the manual is 1.5 GB so not something that's easy to email. I found mine on TPB, you know, that site with the ship (I think posting the URL triggers some censoring maybe). You can also get them off ebay for cheap although they are selling that same pirated manual.

This is from when I had mine replaced at the SC. I do have air suspension though.

"Concern: Customer: Clunking rattling noise heard from front of vehicle over slow speed rough road surface.

Corrections: Control Arm - Upper - Front - RH (1st Generation) (Dual Motor)

Found noise coming from right front upper control arm and sway bar links. Replaced right front upper control arm and both sway bar links. Test drove and confirmed noise is no longer present.

Parts Replaced or Added

Part Quantity

FR SUSP UCA ASSY RH (6008930-00-A) 1

FR SUSP STABAR LINK LH (6007098-00-A) 1

FR SUSP STABAR LINK RH (6008915-00-A) 1

NUT HF M10x1.25 PC10 PTP COLORED 8 (2007090-00-C)"

Did this fix your issue, and is it still fixed? I have rattling in my Air Suspension S, and they changed out the front air struts...but the noise was still there afterwards. My sway bar endlinks still look to be in good shape, but I'm curious about the upper control arms.

I had this done at the SC as I believe it requires the removal of the battery. I didn't go physically look but multiple SC's said they need to remove the battery to change them out

the rear links require battery removal. Not the fore links or sway bar end links.

I complained about noises several times and even was going to pay out of pocket to replace the fore links. When I got my car back, they had just replaced the sway bar end links (under warranty).

Solved my noise... didn’t solve my distrust of the original fore links.

55k miles on a 2017 X and it recently developed a similar knocking from the front passenger side. Thanks to the Youtube video I was able to easily replace the sway bar links with brand new ones from the SC (only $47 each) but to no avail. Should have known as the originals look to still be in decent shape. Have an appointment with SC on the 29th. Guessing it's the control arms. *sigh*

I've had nothing but problems with the front suspension on my 2016 P90DX. It started with a slight squeaking/grinding noise on front passenger side when going over speed bump and progressively worsened until it was embarassingly loud like an old clunker. Still under warranty, they did something with bushings I don't really remember. Then developed same exact sound on the driver side, and they replaced a control arm on the driver side under warranty. Then the exact sound recurred on the passenger side and they replaced a control arm. This was all under warranty.

Not even 3 months later it started slightly again on the side they had just fixed and progressively worsened. Due to some health issues and the COVID stuff I didn't end up taking it in for over a year but then they said it was actually the sway bar and it cost me around $1500. Right after they fixed that then I had the dreaded "squeak on turning wheel at low speeds" that wasn't there before. I'm kind of sick of it, I'll just deal with it and hopefully my wheels don't fall off lol.

its interesting they are starting to stock Tesla parts. They list fore links but say out of stock. I put my name in to be notified if the fore links are back in stock

I found the video above to be hugely helpful, but I know when I was researching the replacement I would welcome any/all info I could find. Soo... here's my experience replacing the front sway bar links and some troubleshooting suggestions:
Any idea if the parts on RockAuto are RWD specific or would work with the dual motor version as well? I have a '15 85D that has started to have some front end rattle over bumps. For ~$10 each it seems like worth trying to solve the rattle.

1621951189502.png