Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Front Suspension

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a Doink / Boink sound coming from the front of the car when I go over a speed hump. It is also slightly noticeable when I go over a pot hole or depression in the road.
Has anyone else experienced this?
p.s. We would like our quiet car back....

I have a Doink / Boink sound coming from the front of the car when I go over a speed hump. It is also slightly noticeable when I go over a pot hole or depression in the road.
Has anyone else experienced this?
p.s. We would like our quiet car back....
Yes on my model S. Two cars taken delivery at the same time but only one had it. You need to book a service appointment in your app to have the front suspension replaced. This is a known fault. Mine showed up a couple of weeks after delivery and was replaced two weeks later. No problem since. No problems with rear suspension.

Yes on my model S. Two cars taken delivery at the same time but only one had it. You need to book a service appointment in your app to have the front suspension replaced. This is a known fault. Mine showed up a couple of weeks after delivery and was replaced two weeks later. No problem since. No problems with rear suspension.

The vehicle is a Model S 100 D. We purchased it in September 2018.

We had the vehicle at Tesla today and they said that it was within operational parameters and if it got worse to bring the vehicle back. Overall, the vehicle was fine for 15 months and started making this sound in December last year. We mentioned it to Tesla at the time, as it was in for service, and the tech said that he wasn't going to look at it because it wasn't on the sheet, and then there was COVID.

Would be interested if you could give me more info on what happened to you,, when, what the issue is, and how Tesla responded.

Regards

We had the vehicle at Tesla today and they said that it was within operational parameters and if it got worse to bring the vehicle back. Overall, the vehicle was fine for 15 months and started making this sound in December last year. We mentioned it to Tesla at the time, as it was in for service, and the tech said that he wasn't going to look at it because it wasn't on the sheet, and then there was COVID.

Would be interested if you could give me more info on what happened to you,, when, what the issue is, and how Tesla responded.

Regards
Is this the rattle you're getting?

Regards
Mine are S75 delivered sept 2018. They are sequential VIN.
One started making a strange doink noise over speed bumps at the front end. I visited my local tesla mechanic in adelaide a few days later, he diagnosed it, and fixed it a couple of weeks later when the parts arrived, which was new front air suspension. No fuss or bother. He did make a comment that the new part was very different to the old part, and they had different part numbers. So maybe you can tell tesla that you are aware of the issue and the redesigned part.

The other model s so far has had no issue.
There is an entire thread on this matter.
The other annoyance that I found, and once again only with one car, is the front passanger seat belt buckle stays up near the slot in the side pillar. Makes a terrible rattle that sounds like suspension when you have no passengers. I fix it by pushing the buckle down to where it should be.

Last edited:
Sorry about the late reply, but yes, we both think that it does sound like ths sound in the video. Also, it is more pronounced on speed bumps with a more definitive boink/doink sound.
Ok. This is the exact sound I had in my 2017 Model S and Tesla told me it was a known issue, after 6 months of their engineering team looking for a resolution for all owners with this issue, they replaced my front suspension struts with a new version under warranty. It's a known fault.

Here's my service receipt for that fault showing the revised part number and work carried out:

Image.jpeg

• Helpful
Reactions: Hairyman
Ok. This is the exact sound I had in my 2017 Model S and Tesla told me it was a known issue, after 6 months of their engineering team looking for a resolution for all owners with this issue, they replaced my front suspension struts with a new version under warranty. It's a known fault.

Here's my service receipt for that fault showing the revised part number and work carried out:

View attachment 615462
The new struts are a different part number to the old one, so if any car doesnt have the part number on your paperwork then its the old one

View attachment 615462

Thank you, much appreciated.

I've had this since I got my S 100D in aug 2018. They have replaced the front struts 3 times. Noise goes away for a while and then comes back. There is a topic in the main S thread. I've resigned myself to this never being fixed properly and the doink doink doink noise over bumps at low speed just being part of the car. Annoying