Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Front trunk/frunk stuck

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just out of curiosity - why put the laptop in the frunk? It just seems that since it takes effort to push the frunk down, it'd be easier to just toss it in the back seat. Unless you just keep your laptop there all the time except when needed, and you do that to prevent someone from peeking into your car and doing a smash-and-grab like it would be in the rear seat.

That said, totally sucks. Hope you didn't have a turkey sandwich in your laptop bag as well! :)

Bad enough you have a laptop, maybe for work, that you need to retrieve but imagine if you had some raw chicken from the grocery store meant for dinner that night. Now I would really feel sorry for that ranger who has to open that up after 36-48 hours!

I don't know if you'd ever get that odor out...sort of like a dead body in the car.
yeah, luckily the laptop is my backup/mobile work computer, but still, I do need it out of there ASAP!

and yes, some raw meat sitting in the frunk, in the sun, for a couple days would be absolutely awful!

I just noticed that if I lock the car from the app I can hear the latch close back and the app shows that it’s closed. Listening closely when I tap unlock I can hear the latch open. The hood doesn’t move at all though, not even a millimeter.

I just noticed that if I lock the car from the app I can hear the latch close back and the app shows that it’s closed. Listening closely when I tap unlock I can hear the latch open. The hood doesn’t move at all though, not even a millimeter.
Sorry, but you really need this now.

upload_2018-4-26_9-12-8.png

SC was able to get the frunk open with the manual release (which is up behind the bumper somewhere?). Once it was open, it resumed working normally with the screen without issue. They said I could have the car back today, or if I wanted to just go ahead and replace the latch just in case, I could have the car back Thursday or Friday. I chose the latter, because I'd rather not have it stick again.

SC was able to get the frunk open with the manual release (which is up behind the bumper somewhere?). Once it was open, it resumed working normally with the screen without issue. They said I could have the car back today, or if I wanted to just go ahead and replace the latch just in case, I could have the car back Thursday or Friday. I chose the latter, because I'd rather not have it stick again.
Yeah, you don't want that to happen again. You get a loaner, at least, right? Did you get an S or X, or did you get stuck with an ICE?

I don't know if you'd ever get that odor out...sort of like a dead body in the car.

My buddy inherited a ‘79 LeMans coupe from a relative that passed. Had been stored for 15 years. Cleaning it up he found an unopened sealed pound of bacon under the passenger seat. Swollen half the size of a football. Treated it as delicately as if he was disarming an IED.

Would be nice to know where that manual release is for other owners that don't want to wait around with their stuff locked in the front.

Just out of curiosity - why put the laptop in the frunk? It just seems that since it takes effort to push the frunk down, it'd be easier to just toss it in the back seat. Unless you just keep your laptop there all the time except when needed, and you do that to prevent someone from peeking into your car and doing a smash-and-grab like it would be in the rear seat.
One reason I keep my laptop bag in the trunk is in case of an accident. I don't want anything in the car that can become a projectile that could hit me or a passenger.

Reactions: dhrivnak
Yeah, you don't want that to happen again. You get a loaner, at least, right? Did you get an S or X, or did you get stuck with an ICE?
I got a Model S P85D (not upgraded to Ludicrous, but still quick). I like my Model 3 more though. I live in the mountains, so we have few places that you can (legally) go 0-60 in a straight line. Model 3 is more fun on the curves.
Would be nice to know where that manual release is for other owners that don't want to wait around with their stuff locked in the front.

All I know from the tech is that you have to remove the front bumper to get to it

I got a Model S P85D (not upgraded to Ludicrous, but still quick). I like my Model 3 more though. I live in the mountains, so we have few places that you can (legally) go 0-60 in a straight line. Model 3 is more fun on the curves.
At least the nice thing is that you get to actually use the S to compare it, unlike a 10 minute test drive, where you don't really get to know. Consider it an extended test drive that confirms you made the right choice. It'll feel that much sweeter getting back into your 3. :)

At least the nice thing is that you get to actually use the S to compare it, unlike a 10 minute test drive, where you don't really get to know. Consider it an extended test drive that confirms you made the right choice. It'll feel that much sweeter getting back into your 3. :)
Very true... I've done a few test drives, including in a P85D the first time I drove a Tesla in early 2016 (well before the Model 3 unveiling). Driving for a week is much different. I got to use it in my daily/weekly routines. It's great for hauling things, it's absolutely amazing at acceleration. It's just too big for parking, and for tight u-turns. It's just not as much fun driving on curvy roads. The 3 feels more like you are part of the road.

Reactions: drawfour
I got my Tesla back from a 2+ week stay at the Service Center for 2 issues, less than a week ago. My frunk now won’t open at all... same issue as described by the OP.

I really don’t want to take my car to the service center again and drive a gas loaner. I don’t use my funk, really. Maybe I’ll wait until software version 9 is being rolled out and take it in then and get the update while I’m at the service center.