Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FRONT TRUNK SENSOR ISSUE!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Recently received our new MY FSD AWD w/tow hitch 18xxx on 6/25 - we've been having issues with the front trunk giving alerts that the trunk is open even though it's latched. I had a recent mobile service tech visit on 7/15 to address this along with other fitment and alignment issues and am still getting the incessant warning/alert that the front trunk is open. I made another mobile request (pic attached) and it was just recently cancelled by mobile service due to the fact this is a firmware issue - so WHAT exactly does that mean??? This is the 2nd attempt to get this fixed with no resolution! I'm about to call a LEMON LAWYER Attorney here in California, as it states after 3 recurring issues of the same problem, can warrant a full refund or exchange of the vehicle for a like in kind.

This is a dangerous situation while in FSD or TACC as it disables both functions when the notification pops up! Also, while in park, will not allow you to go into Drive unless you press Ignore on the screen! Having paid for FSD and the inability to use is frustrating in itself, but getting a notification while on the freeway at freeway speeds is very unnerving!

Has anyone else had this issue? If so, what was done (if anything) to resolve? Thanks in advance for any advice!
tempFileForShare_20200721-102415.jpg

Reactions: captanzuelo
See this video about 6 minutes in:

On an updated video, he said "they fixed the front trunk bug. They said it was an issue with the front computer. They fixed it, and I’ve driven the car quite a bit with no issue. The Model Y Front Trunk also latches much better now." (See below at 4:28)

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Genedr and kato_2k5
I saw this on a test drive MY at the Rocklin store. It was "unavailable" because the system thought the frunk was open - even though it was not. Not a good look to have folks coming for test drives with a non-operational MY for everyone to simply look at. They were unable to fix it to get it back on the road when we were there - so you are likely not alone.

Reactions: srk67 and kato_2k5
See this video about 6 minutes in:

On an updated video, he said "they fixed the front trunk bug. They said it was an issue with the front computer. They fixed it, and I’ve driven the car quite a bit with no issue. The Model Y Front Trunk also latches much better now." (See below at 4:28)
Thanks for this post! Unfortunately none of the mobile service techs made mention of such a repair or recommendation, even after they cancelled my appointment.

So, I had similar issue as well (March 30 delivery). I thought it was obvious the sensor is at fault and SC easily replicated my issue. At first, they replaced the frunk harness system and said that's the recommended fix from the headquarter. Then, the second I drove the car off the lot, the warning came up right away. I wasn't too impressed and showed them the issue. Then they replaced the frunk latch system (not sure what that includes) and the problem never came back again. So, I'm not sure if it is truly a software issue (the warning will kick you off any AP/FSD mode with continuous warning) or a hardware defect. But, without having a new software, the hardware replacement fixed my problem.

Reactions: kato_2k5
I have had this issue with my Model Y for about 2 weeks. I have made a mobile service appointment and they are coming out in about a week to "fix" this. In the mean time they sent me a list of parts they ordered to resolve this issue:

Parts Ordered

ASY. VC FRONT, GEN3
Part #: 1497317-00-F
Order Date: July 15, 2020

HOOD LATCH ASSY, M3Y
Part #: 1500397-00-D
Order Date: July 15, 2020​

• Informative
I saw this on a test drive MY at the Rocklin store. It was "unavailable" because the system thought the frunk was open - even though it was not. Not a good look to have folks coming for test drives with a non-operational MY for everyone to simply look at. They were unable to fix it to get it back on the road when we were there - so you are likely not alone.
Haha yeah my test drive was there too

I have had this issue with my Model Y for about 2 weeks. I have made a mobile service appointment and they are coming out in about a week to "fix" this. In the mean time they sent me a list of parts they ordered to resolve this issue:

Parts Ordered

ASY. VC FRONT, GEN3

HOOD LATCH ASSY, M3Y
Order Date: July 15, 2020​
That's great news! Please follow up with a post after the appointment and let us all know if it's been resolved! Curious how this mobile service was able to identify a repair and mine nixxed my appointment altogether!

That's great news! Please follow up with a post after the appointment and let us all know if it's been resolved! Curious how this mobile service was able to identify a repair and mine nixxed my appointment altogether!
They didn't come out to identify the repair. They ordered the parts after I made the appointment on the mobile app. Maybe this is now a well know issue and they don't need to come and identify the problem first? In any case, all the parts have not arrived yet. I get emails whenever a part arrives:

Parts Outstanding
  1. ASY. VC FRONT, GEN3
    Ship Date: July 18, 2020
    Scheduled Delivery: July 20, 2020
  2. HOOD LATCH ASSY, M3Y
    Ship Date: Pending

• Helpful
They didn't come out to identify the repair. They ordered the parts after I made the appointment on the mobile app. Maybe this is now a well know issue and they don't need to come and identify the problem first? In any case, all the parts have not arrived yet. I get emails whenever a part arrives:

Parts Outstanding
  1. ASY. VC FRONT, GEN3
    Ship Date: July 18, 2020
    Scheduled Delivery: July 20, 2020
  2. HOOD LATCH ASSY, M3Y
    Ship Date: Pending
Still interesting.... although as stated on a previous post - my mobile appointment was cancelled with no recommendation for follow up except to update software when available.
20200721_183943.jpg

I had a similar issue that happened for a week when I was on 2020.12.xxxx. The issue went away after 2020.24.xxxx. MY is currently on 2020.24.6.9. I had taken a service appointment when the issue happened at the service center and the car was serviced today. They replaced the HOOD LATCH ACTUATOR AND CABLE ASSEMBLY (1500398-00-D)

I had a similar issue that happened for a week when I was on 2020.12.xxxx. The issue went away after 2020.24.xxxx. MY is currently on 2020.24.6.9. I had taken a service appointment when the issue happened at the service center and the car was serviced today. They replaced the HOOD LATCH ACTUATOR AND CABLE ASSEMBLY (1500398-00-D)
Currently I'm also on the same SW version and have not had success with any updates! I'll see about another appointment and request the parts specified! Thanks for everyone's posts!

Still interesting.... although as stated on a previous post - my mobile appointment was cancelled with no recommendation for follow up except to update software when available.View attachment 567338

Have exact same issue. Seems worse in narrow construction zones. Do the cameras influence this at all? I can repeat problem at same location thats really narrow due to construction cones.