Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FRONT TRUNK SENSOR ISSUE!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Something similar just started happening to me. The app shows the front trunk as open despite it being closed, although the open button still works without issue. The screen displays a "hood latch requires service" message. I haven't tried autopilot or FSD yet.
Haven't seen that yet, but our VINS and manufacture date are similar. The secret that's always worked with all the Tesla models I've owned is making sure you hear TWO clicks as you depress the frunk.

Haven't seen that yet, but our VINS and manufacture date are similar. The secret that's always worked with all the Tesla models I've owned is making sure you hear TWO clicks as you depress the frunk.
Yeah, I always have 2 clicks and use it often. Just confirmed no autopilot or cruise control. Unfortunate because I'm departing on an 800mi trip back home on Monday, which will be really annoying without even basic cruise, let alone the features that cost $7k!

Just had my third SC visit for the False Frunk Open issue and the false warnings have not returned. It seems to have improved after one of the OTA updates after the second SC and before the third SC visit. They said that they they isolated and wrapped a ground wire this time.
I also had them check the tie rod end bolts and there was no problem other than having to ask twice for them to do it.

@Genedr Fremont SC. Car received so far so good. SC replaced the harness because there was a break/short in the wire harness.

Per my request, Tesla also replaces missing/broken clips holding the 12V battery cover in the frunk damaged from the Homelink install and/or factory build (my 18xxx VIN was the 15 hr click & delivery 1hr before quarter end).

As a bonus, Tesla did a waterless wipe of all the body panels. I left the previous red pickup tag from previous visit in the frunk to hint I am a repeat customer. I wanted them to tighten up the rear bumper right quarter panel gap. Within spec and compared across a few other cars and yeah within spec.

Last edited:
I have my SC visit scheduled for later this month to fix the sensor issue.

A word of warning: aside from disabling autopilot, this issue also forces you to dismiss a dialog every time you want to turn on the wipers using the screen or the stalk (and even if you dismissed it for enabling via one method, you have to dismiss it again when you use the other method). It also seems to prevent the AUTO setting from functioning at all. I had a scary downpour situation occur on my road trip back home and this almost caused a major issue. I went through several more sudden downpours through the trip and had to dismiss the dialog each time. It sounds minor, but when you can't even see the road in front of you, it's more difficult than you'd think!

After the latch replacement I still had the hood open alert appear. Then a previous update seemed to eliminate those alerts. Now today for the first time, this appears. Made an appoint with the SC, but this is getting ridiculous.
IMG_1443.jpeg

Had my front trunk sensor replaced 2 weeks ago by mobile service for this issue. Thought it was fixed then it reappeared on a drive Sunday but for only 5 minutes or so on a 250 mile drive and it actually didn't disable autopilot at all. Mobile service said it probably wouldn't fix it but its what he had to replace first.

I'm going to have to take it to a service center next, but the nearest one is over an hour away so I'm going to hold off to see if any other issues arise before making an appointment because it happens so infrequently.

Frunk sensor warning again. At least now when you schedule service, the details are automatically entered in. Service followed up asking exact day and time when the sensor error appears.

When away from the car you get exactly one notification until you open the frunk again. Visit #4 scheduled!

Can you confirm the part number of the harness they replaced? I think I am in the same boat and trying to avoid a third service appointment.

@SunshineThree Here you go!

D2F58D53-E6AA-4ADD-B6A4-464366EF2E83.jpeg

I decided to add the front window rattle when the window is rolled down as well to the list. (VIN#18xxx build). Test all four doors with the windows down and shut the doors. They should all sound the same. I need to make these service worth the trouble of wiping fomites with 70% IPA after everything visit! I am skipping the free Model S rental by scheduling the appointment early in the week. The SC is only 4 miles away.

Last edited:
Reactions: SunshineThree
Just got back from service center for round 2 after hood latch replace from mobile service failed to address the issue. This work took about a day and a half (2 overnights since drop off was in afternoon) and sounded fairly involved. All is fixed now, and hopefully stays that way. I assume it will based on what others have noted in thread. That said it did take a day or so for the issue to crop back up after the latch replacement from the first go around. I’ll post an update if anything changes.

Here are the part numbers they replaced for me:
ASY,HARN,FRUNK SWITCH GND,OVERLAY,MY(1618671-00-A)

ASY. FRONT CONTROLLER GEN 3(1497317-00-F)

The front controller they marked as a proactive fix; so I guess it was the harness which they marked as a modification.

I didn’t get further details but given the way the alert was intermittent at first before it failed completely, my layman interpretation given the part name is maybe bad grounding?

Hope this helps anyone who runs into this in the future avoid multiple service appointments.

Reactions: SoundDaTrumpet
Just a heads up, and this is my personal experience and might be unique. I have an early VIN 3360 MYP and experienced this issue back in April. Anyhow, they replaced latch and harness and it fixed the problem. But a few weeks ago, the problem came back. When I parked the car under the sun for a few hours and start the car, the warning will pop up. And if I open and close the frunk, the warning will go away. The warning hasn't popped up while I'm driving yet and I hope it won't.