TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Front Trunk unable to open - Model X Safety concern

Discussion in 'Hong Kong' started by T.E.S.L.A, Sep 15, 2017.

1. T.E.S.L.A

T.E.S.L.A Member

My model X Frunk is unable to open. The car is only 6 months old.

It pops up, but stays latched. It is NOT in valet mode and I have even tried the emergency open rapid response toggles but also only pops open and stays latched. There is no way I can get the frunk to open up, other than popping up and staying latched.

The local Tesla service centre is pretty useless....they can only help me a month from now.

Has anyone had this issue, or perhaps have a solution to open it up?

It is quite a big concern, especially in case of an emergency - if the Frunk has no way to be opened...

2. markwj

markwj Moderator, Asia Pacific

I suggest you drive down to the service centre, 10 minutes before it is due to open, and be first in line. Say you are a 'walk in' because you can't open the frunk. This is something they should be able to look at while you wait.

3. T.E.S.L.A

T.E.S.L.A Member

Thanks Mark, yea I reckon I will need to do that.

Waiting a month for this to be looked at is not really acceptable as it is a safety concern. If I end up in an accident and emergency first responders need to cut the main power wires inside the frunk....but that's also assuming emergency response in Hong Kong would actually be competent enough to even know about doing that...:eek:

4. markwj

I suspect that if emergency first responders really wanted to get into the frunk, they could find a way. Probably involving a big crowbar.

But, this should be a quick fix for Tesla - something their 'ludicrous mode' lane in their service department should be able to handle for you.

5. Lerxt

Lerxt Member

The frunk can easily be opened by emergency crews. And no, you are not going to be able to queue jump using that excuse.

6. markwj

What was the result of this? Did you get it resolved?

7. Matt_S75D

Matt_S75D Member

my model S can't open 2

8. kinho

kinho Member

You can open the frunk manually from the front bumper, a little known secret that allows anyone to access the frunk. That's why you should never put your valuables up in there. Check out this old video by LIKE TESLA:

9. T.E.S.L.A

T.E.S.L.A Member

Not resolved yet, and no way to open it. Service Appointment at the end of the month...

10. T.E.S.L.A

T.E.S.L.A Member

Tesla has fixed the problem. They had to replace the entire locking and latching mechanism.

11. FequalsMA

FequalsMA Member

you had to wait 6weeks to get it fixed? hope you didn't get water damage.

12. T.E.S.L.A

T.E.S.L.A Member

The joys of the month-long wait list of Tesla Hong Kong's service centre.

No water damage. The latch did not want to release, so I could always close it, just not open it beyond the latch.