Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Front Trunk unable to open - Serious Issue in case of emergency

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My model X Frunk is unable to open. The car is only 6 months old.

It pops up, but stays latched. It is NOT in valet mode and I have even tried the emergency open rapid response toggles but also only pops open and stays latched. There is no way I can get the frunk to open up, other than popping up and staying latched.

My local Tesla service centre is pretty useless in here Hong Kong....they can only help me 4 weeks from now.

Has anyone had this issue, or perhaps have a solution to open it up?

It is quite a big concern, especially in case of an emergency - if the Frunk has no way to be opened...

• Disagree
Reactions: jaguar36
My model X Frunk is unable to open. The car is only 6 months old.

It pops up, but stays latched. I have even tried the emergency open rapid response toggles but also only pops open and stays latched.

My local Tesla service centre is pretty useless in here Hong Kong....they can only help me 4 weeks from now.

Has anyone had this issue, or perhaps have a solution to open it up?

It is quite a big concern, especially in case of an emergency - if the Frunk has no way to be opened...
Unfortunate they are so far out on repair. However if it's that big of an emergency (needing to access the HV lines), a pesky little latch will not keep them out of the compartment.

Reactions: boaterva
I assume you've tried this sort of thing, but how about pulling on the emergency releases (perhaps you need two people for this) and pulling the frunk lid at the same time? Perhaps it's just the latch isn't releasing enough for it pop free but will if you give it some vertical pressure?

No idea really, but you'd think the mechanical releases (the emergency ones) would be hard to fail totally....

I am literally taking our 2 month old MS100D to service for this issue tomorrow. Frunk worked fine for about a week then wouldn't release the second latch. Called Tesla and the tech on the phone had me try a few things (e.g. Check to see if we had it overloaded and causing pressure on the secondary latch, but our frunk was basically empty.) Finally he emailed me a PDF that had a JPG of the latch mechanism and I finally figured out where to push down with my fingers and release the secondary latch.

Once I got the hang of it, it was a minor annoyance. We even took it on some road trips like this and it was fine, just finally getting around to taking it in tomorrow.

Send me a private message and I can send you the email with the photo they sent me. To be clear, MS (refresh) and MX may be completely different, but I would be surprised if yours doesn't unlatch in the same way. I know for me I would hardly call it a serious issue, more of a "this is how I used to release the hood on every other car I've ever owned."

Reactions: boaterva
i've had this happen once, and i was a little shocked until i realized that i had popped the frunk and then my car locked before i had a chance to open it.

i just hit the unlock button and could open the frunk again.

Yea, I've tried the emergency latch release at the same time as someone pulling on the hood but it simply won't unlatch at all..

It seems that the emergency release is only an electric backup that does the same as from the inside of the car or the key fob...it does not release the mechanical lock holding the hood, just pops up and every time I pull the emergency release you can just hear the electronic latch wizz, clearly just electronic and not a full mechanical backup..

T.E.S.L.A. and I exchanged PMs and while I am happy to report my Model S frunk is working again today after Tesla Service replaced the actuator, while I was waiting, I scoped out the Model X on display that also happened to have the frunk opened up. Unfortunately, the mechanism seems totally different from the Model S, so what I have is unlikely any help :(

In addition, I fear I should probably not post it publicly because when you do a search of releasing a stuck front truck on the refresh models, all the instructions say to "Call Tesla" as it sort of seems like you can use this method to very easily break into the car. (I'm sure all good thieves already know this, but not posting this would keep honest folks honest...)