Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Front trunk won’t open

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Pressing the release in the car or the app makes the sound to release the hood but it doesn’t move. It’s still flush with the rest of the car. The app shows the trunk open but nothing. Got a warning not to drive it that way but it’s securely down. Any ideas?

I don’t use it much but am going to the cottage so was going to.

Last edited:
Ouch. That’s not a fun situation. Very not safe if it is unlatched and the wind catches it while driving.

You might try rebooting and see if it comes back in a locked state. Push and hold both wheel buttons in for a soft reboot or both buttons + brake pedal for hard reboot.

Occasionally this happened on my Model S.

-the Model 3 frunk might also has a second latch-position, so even if it's unlocked, the latch still secures it
-try pushing the frunk closed with 2 hands w/ mild force (even if it's still in it's normal position) and see if you hear a click, then try to open again

It's only happened a few times, but I've had my m3 frunk pop up but still be caught on something. I push it closed and try again and it works. It hasn't bothered me enough to do a service call yet, but it probably will eventually.

Got it sorted. I’m in the middle of nowhere on holiday and the wiper fluid warning came on. Figured I’ll give it the ol’ push down while trying to open idea. Took a couple tries to nail my timing and it worked. There was a leaf lodged in there. How I have no idea. Tried it a couple times after and it was good. Haven’t tried since.

• Informative
Reactions: PoitNarf