TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Front USB charging problems

Discussion in 'Model 3: Interior & Exterior' started by FalconFour, Jul 26, 2018.

1. FalconFour

FalconFour Supporting Member

I can't seem to get the front USB ports to charge... it charges for a few seconds, then stops, then charges, then stops, then charges, then stops... like the USB supply in the car is so appallingly wimpy that charging a phone overloads it. First tried it with an Anker PowerLine 1-foot MicroUSB cable, since I didn't have the Tesla MicroUSB cable yet (thanks for the Lightning and USB-C but you missed the most common one :rolleyes:). Just got the Tesla cable today and ... wow! Same problem, same thing, can't charge my phone in the car.

Couldn't Tesla have just worked with Anker on integrating a reliable, powerful dual-port QC3.0 USB power supply in the car?

Sigh. Anyone have the same problem or should I (try to) take my car in for service (already)?

2. angelman

angelman Member

I took my car in for service as the front usb ports didn't work at all. I got a model s loaner.. so no big deal for me :)

• Helpful x 1
  3. Tdriver

Tdriver Member

You can get a full power charge thru the 12V power socket.

4. FalconFour

FalconFour Supporting Member

#4 FalconFour, Jul 26, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2018
    Doesn't really help when the phone area is completely separated from the 12v power socket... either requiring running a cable out from one compartment and into another which is REALLY FREAKING TACKY FOR A CAR OF THIS QUALITY. (I'm a Tesla/Musk fanboy by self admission, but seriously, this is pretty low-tier crap I was totally _not_ expecting to have problems with!)

I put in a request with support to see if I need to go in for service... I kinda hope I do, because at least that means it wasn't designed this badly ;)

update: The back USB ports charge my phone just fine! %#[email protected]#!!!

5. seyclone

seyclone Member

My iPhone 6S+ was down to 11% so I lifted the top cover, removed the phone pad, lifted the undercover, and plugged a long cable into the USB port. The phone showed that it was charging, but continued to lose power. I reversed the whole procedure, unplugged the USB cable, and plugged into one of the rear USB ports - Finally success!

What's going on here? What's with the front USB ports?

• Like x 1
  6. angelman

angelman Member

In my case it was just a loose wire connection they needed to fix. Worth it, if only to get a nice model s loaner and a free carwash!