TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Front USB Ports >2 Amps

Discussion in 'Model 3: User Interface' started by dc81, May 11, 2018.

1. dc81

dc81 Member

I decided to test out my front 2 ports since I ordered the jeda pad and wanted to see if I needed to route power from the 12V plug. I have a power bank that can pull 5V/3A to really get the upper limits of what the USB ports will put out. To my surprise, I was able to get over 2 amps. The peak was about 2.5 amps with the mean around 2.1 amps. I'm on FW 2018.14.13.

IMG_4250.JPG

• Informative x 5
    • Like x 2
  2. dhu1

dhu1 Member

#2 dhu1, May 13, 2018
    Last edited: May 13, 2018
    We should ask if this Jeda @wirelesspad whether that eliminates the need for the fast charging module (at least for iphone users)

3. barjohn

barjohn Member

IMG_1853.JPG IMG_1854.JPG IMG_1855.JPG IMG_1856.JPG IMG_1857.JPG I don't know how he gets this reading as I have a 3 VIN 179xx and software 2018.14.13 and I cannot duplicate his readings.

Initial tests shown using each port are with a purely resistive load. Then increasing the load to up the current and watching the voltage drop followed by being plugged into an iPhone X.

4. dhu1

dhu1 Member

Anybody else able to confirm either ways? I don't have a volt meter, otherwise I would.

5. Kbra

Kbra Member

6. dhu1

dhu1 Member

the problem with this video is that it was done in Jan 2018 before the latest firmware. I read somewhere that as part of the recent update, the front usb amps got pushed to 2+ amps--so wanting anybody else with 2018.14.13 to confirm either 1 amps or 2 amps. Both posters above got different answers.

7. Kbra

Kbra Member

Oh i missed that part. Sounds like its time for a retest.

• Informative x 1
  8. dhu1

dhu1 Member

yeah, I am going to get a voltage meter today and try it out. will update later.

9. Kbra

Kbra Member

10. barjohn

barjohn Member

Well, today I learned that my prior readings were incorrect due to the fact that there is an apparent cable sensitivity in that some cables are apparently in capable of providing full power and are dropping the power across them. In my prior photos I used a short blue USB male to female cable to extend the meter out of the cubby to make it easier to see. Today I plugged the meter directly into the ports with both an iPad mini and resistive load. I was able to get 2A easily out of all 4 ports with the resistive load and over 1.3A with the iPad that was at 86% charged.

See my crappy unedited videos:

• Informative x 1
  11. dhu1

dhu1 Member

So just to be clear, you're able to achieve 2amps in the front usb ports, which would equate to getting 10 watts (5V x 2.0amps) correct? If that is the case, that would suggest that we would be able to do fast charging for the iPhone which maxes out at 7.5w. Not enough for samsung fast charge which requires 15w, but enough for iPhones--this would mean we would not need the fast charging module.

12. barjohn

barjohn Member

Yes, look at the second video.

13. barjohn

barjohn Member

I am re loading it now.

14. barjohn

barjohn Member

It should work now.

• Like x 1
  15. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

If you used a referral code you got free phone Supercharging at 2amps.
    If not, then you are stuck with slow phone charging... :p

• Funny x 7
  16. Skidmark

Skidmark Member

The front USB ports charge my phones much faster than the rears...it's unfortunate that usb playback only works from the front ports