Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

front usb ports destroyed my usb memory stick

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
maybe coincidental but I have noticed that my usb flash drive stopped working a few weeks ago. I also noticed that my phone was not charging great any more from the built in charge cable. I assumed a bad connection. Sometimes I would swap the cable to the rhs port and that would work for a while. Eventually it stopped working too.
I finally got around to taking out the flash drive and checking it on my computer and found it could not be read. I tried formatting it and it wouldn't format. It seems to be completely fried. I tried a wireless charger in the front ports and they seem to be dead now, the ports in the arm rest are working just fine.
I think I can assume the front ports need replacing (this will be the second time - after the car was delivered with broken usb ports in the front).
Anyone experienced something like this where the usb ports will fry the flash drive or vice versa?
Oh I was using a high quality high speed sandisk usb stick (as opposed to some super cheap and sketchy Amazon random purchase)

I had a stick quit after about six months. It was 32 GB. The USB port was fine but I think the stick had too many write cycles on it. This can happen to a stick. The smaller the capacity the quicker it dies.
But the OP said his phone also wouldn't charge nor did his wireless charger work, so it seems the front USB ports are on the fritz and that may have also damaged his storage device.

I think something like this happened to me recently. My SanDisk Connect 64GB started showing an error in my M3 earlier this year and I thought I just needed to reformat it. Meanwhile, it largely failed to mount on my iMac in Disk Utility, and in the odd circumstance that it did, it could not be repaired or erased because it would fail to unmount and thereby cancel the program.

Based on this thread I'm thinking my USB Drive may have been fried by the rewrites; the warranty information specifically indicates its USB drives should not be used for TeslaCam/Sentry type activity.

This warranty does not cover use of the Product in connection with the following uses or devices (as determined by SanDisk): (i) normal wear and tear, (ii) video monitoring, security, and surveillance devices, (iii) internet protocol/network cameras, (iv) in-car recording devices/dashboard cameras/black box cameras, (v) display devices that loop video...
It now seems like the best thing is to get a USB drive that takes an SD card made for video recording and rewriting.

Separately and subsequent to the failure of the UBS Drive, after I had m HW3 install last month I noticed that both front USB ports were not charging my iPhone. I executed a soft system reset (depress brake pedal and both steering wheel thumb wheels) and they were working again.