TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Front USB ports not working

Discussion in 'Model 3: Interior & Exterior' started by Rigor716, Mar 27, 2019.

1. Rigor716

Rigor716 New Member

hi everyone!
    Just got the 2019.8.3 software update and now my front USB chargers are not working. Can not charge phone on either port and car won’t recognize the flash drive for the dashcam (previously was working). Has anyone else had this problem? Any recs?

Thanks in advance!

2. Knightshade

Knightshade Well-Known Member

Have you tried turning it off and then on again?

3. BTaylor32185

BTaylor32185 Member

4. JesseDGreat

JesseDGreat Member

Im getting the same issue. Updated to 2019.8.3 and now my JEDA wireless pad isnt charging. I took my phone and plugged it in directly with no luck. I dont have a dashcam set up but I plugged in a USB drive and the light on it was flashing....so maybe its enough power for a drive but not a phone???
    I reset ( with the two scroll wheels ) but no change.
    I have a Model 3, AWD, Dual Motor

5. JesseDGreat

JesseDGreat Member

FYI
    A response for the Jeda Team:

So, with the 8.1+ /9.0 software, it seems people are having issues with their front USB ports when it comes to power and data switching. For example, with a wired connection it will work, however with a wireless charger of any kind the mode seems to switch to data and not power, thus disengaging the wireless charger. We have tested our charger, a samsung charger, and 3 other competing devices to find they all have the exact same issue. The back ports, however, remain the same and capable of charging as they only serve as a power source and not a data source.

The solution we have found so far is to use a USB splitter or hub, which reengages the power mode. We are working to establish contact with Tesla to discuss the USB port anomalies occurring with their newer software versions.

We are also working with our engineers, and our suppliers to find out what we can.

6. JesseDGreat

JesseDGreat Member

One user on another post said that the cables that Jeda gives with the wireless pad is data and power. A fix is just to swithc the cables to powered ones.....

7. Rigor716

Rigor716 New Member

Thank you for the update! Hopefully this will be resolved soon. I went out and bought a splitter and restored the wireless charging but no luck with the dashcam

8. Lee_B

Lee_B Supporting Member

Same here. My charging pad isn't providing any power

9. Tim Hyatt

Tim Hyatt Banned

this issue can be solved by using a USB hub or splitter. i just saw this on taptes website

10. Firemansim

Firemansim Member

I have lost data, but charging still works (stock cables). So no dash cam or gamepad. Got 2019.8.5 3aaa23d last night and it didn't fix the problem.

11. HAWX 12

HAWX 12 Member

On 2019.8.5 and trying first time to get USB/micro sd card to record any cam footage.
    Fat32 etc all done but I can't get dashcam icon to show up.
    Reboots, reformats, folder named TeslaCam, etc
    Blue light on my sd card adapter lights up for a minute but then goes out.

Taptes wireless charger pad not working, lights keep blinking off/on. Back usb's have power. I disconnected it untiI get a splitter with 1 leg for power only.

I'm thinking it's related to the car, not my process.

• Love x 1
  12. TomReagan

TomReagan Member

Same issue. Any workaround to get the dash cam to working/record again?

13. HAWX 12

HAWX 12 Member

My taptes ended up working after an update. I have the USB splitters, one wire is only charging, 1 wire is charging and data transfer. Can't mix them up. Reboot, and reformat is my only advice.

14. moomber

moomber Member

I'm on 2019.40.50.7, front usb suddenly decided to stop working this past weekend. By not working i mean:
    - dashcam icon doesn't show (same USB drive works on another tesla vehicle)
    - phone plugged into either USB port does not charge (yes iphone is unlocked and running)
    - tried reboot and deep reboot and turn off car (safety shutoff) and reboot, no dice

Couldn't tell what could have caused it, but after leaving the car usb unplugged in for 12+ hour, it started working again !

Not sure what could have 'shorted' it that requires a wait for undetermined time to 'reset'

Any feedback or similar experiences would be appreciated.

15. twistedskipper

Be sure to try different cables if it happens again. To eliminate a flaky cable/connector as the culprit.

16. lolder

lolder Member

M3s have circuit breakers that reset automatically.

17. moomber

moomber Member

... and it stopped working again .. wondering even if it comes back later, if the USB hub has gone bad ?
    Not too sure if a USB-sd-adaptor + iPhone lightning cable can cause shorts like this.

18. mcjackman

mcjackman New Member

Having the same problem as moomber! Neither front USB are working with the original, stock cables now.

19. ash1057

ash1057 Member

My front USB ports stopped working this morning as well... I've done both two button and two button with brake reset. I'm going to power it off overnight to see if that helps... If not I'm scheduling a service appointment.

20. jeremymc7

jeremymc7 Member

Similar here. Got a TapTes Wireless Charger today and my left port won't work anymore. Swapped ports on charger, cable, splitter and only things plugged into right port work.

Sigh.