Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Front USB ports not working

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
hi everyone!
Just got the 2019.8.3 software update and now my front USB chargers are not working. Can not charge phone on either port and car won’t recognize the flash drive for the dashcam (previously was working). Has anyone else had this problem? Any recs?

Thanks in advance!

Im getting the same issue. Updated to 2019.8.3 and now my JEDA wireless pad isnt charging. I took my phone and plugged it in directly with no luck. I dont have a dashcam set up but I plugged in a USB drive and the light on it was flashing....so maybe its enough power for a drive but not a phone???
I reset ( with the two scroll wheels ) but no change.
I have a Model 3, AWD, Dual Motor

FYI
A response for the Jeda Team:

So, with the 8.1+ /9.0 software, it seems people are having issues with their front USB ports when it comes to power and data switching. For example, with a wired connection it will work, however with a wireless charger of any kind the mode seems to switch to data and not power, thus disengaging the wireless charger. We have tested our charger, a samsung charger, and 3 other competing devices to find they all have the exact same issue. The back ports, however, remain the same and capable of charging as they only serve as a power source and not a data source.

The solution we have found so far is to use a USB splitter or hub, which reengages the power mode. We are working to establish contact with Tesla to discuss the USB port anomalies occurring with their newer software versions.

We are also working with our engineers, and our suppliers to find out what we can.

FYI
A response for the Jeda Team:

So, with the 8.1+ /9.0 software, it seems people are having issues with their front USB ports when it comes to power and data switching. For example, with a wired connection it will work, however with a wireless charger of any kind the mode seems to switch to data and not power, thus disengaging the wireless charger. We have tested our charger, a samsung charger, and 3 other competing devices to find they all have the exact same issue. The back ports, however, remain the same and capable of charging as they only serve as a power source and not a data source.

The solution we have found so far is to use a USB splitter or hub, which reengages the power mode. We are working to establish contact with Tesla to discuss the USB port anomalies occurring with their newer software versions.

We are also working with our engineers, and our suppliers to find out what we can.

Thank you for the update! Hopefully this will be resolved soon. I went out and bought a splitter and restored the wireless charging but no luck with the dashcam

On 2019.8.5 and trying first time to get USB/micro sd card to record any cam footage.
Fat32 etc all done but I can't get dashcam icon to show up.
Reboots, reformats, folder named TeslaCam, etc
Blue light on my sd card adapter lights up for a minute but then goes out.

Taptes wireless charger pad not working, lights keep blinking off/on. Back usb's have power. I disconnected it untiI get a splitter with 1 leg for power only.

I'm thinking it's related to the car, not my process.

• Love
Reactions: JohnnyMiller
I'm on 2019.40.50.7, front usb suddenly decided to stop working this past weekend. By not working i mean:
- dashcam icon doesn't show (same USB drive works on another tesla vehicle)
- phone plugged into either USB port does not charge (yes iphone is unlocked and running)
- tried reboot and deep reboot and turn off car (safety shutoff) and reboot, no dice

Couldn't tell what could have caused it, but after leaving the car usb unplugged in for 12+ hour, it started working again !

Not sure what could have 'shorted' it that requires a wait for undetermined time to 'reset'

Any feedback or similar experiences would be appreciated.

I'm on 2019.40.50.7, front usb suddenly decided to stop working this past weekend. By not working i mean:
- dashcam icon doesn't show (same USB drive works on another tesla vehicle)
- phone plugged into either USB port does not charge (yes iphone is unlocked and running)
- tried reboot and deep reboot and turn off car (safety shutoff) and reboot, no dice

Couldn't tell what could have caused it, but after leaving the car usb unplugged in for 12+ hour, it started working again !

Not sure what could have 'shorted' it that requires a wait for undetermined time to 'reset'

Any feedback or similar experiences would be appreciated.
M3s have circuit breakers that reset automatically.

My front USB ports stopped working this morning as well... I've done both two button and two button with brake reset. I'm going to power it off overnight to see if that helps... If not I'm scheduling a service appointment.