TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Front USB ports [Phone Data and Power or Just power?]

Discussion in 'Model X: Interior & Exterior' started by AtomicLight, Sep 3, 2017.

1. AtomicLight

AtomicLight New Member

Hi there. I did a quick forum search on this and came up empty.

Are either of the front USB ports in the Model X phone data capable? Or are they only power?

I ask because I got a sweet deal on a Model X - but the only thing it did not have was the Audio Package w/ Sirius XM. I though no problem, I'll just use the SXM app on my iPhone and plug it in to the port to not have to deal with BT which is always a pain in the ***.

When I plug my iPhone 7+ in I don't see a dock connector option like on my BMW - only BT :(

Leading me to believe the USB ports are only power and can't handle an iPhone connection. Note: I know you can plug a USB stick in and play music off of that - but I am specifically asking about handing audio out from a phone and more specifically an iOS device.

2. James*

James* Member

You can only play audio from your phone through Bluetooth.

• Like x 1
  3. Derek Kessler

Derek Kessler Member

The USB ports can provide power to any device (mainly phones) and read music data off USB drives. That's it... for now.

Given that the ports read data off USB drives, it's only software holding back phone-over-USB media playback.

• Like x 1
  4. AtomicLight

AtomicLight New Member

Thanks all. Another basic feature that Tesla has neglected to enable :(

5. vandacca

vandacca ReActive Member

You used to be able to partition an iPhone (via iTunes) and carve out some memory to be used for simple USB storage. Now it seems like your only option is to use a 3rd party app. But it should be possible as @Derek Kessler stated above.

6. AtomicLight

AtomicLight New Member

Just sat in a friends Bolt - and was jealous of his Carplay - I'll say that much.

7. Jbarnes

Jbarnes New Member

interesting...