Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Front vents not moving much air even on 10

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Having issues with ac. Dash vents don’t put out much air at all. Tried floor seems a little better but not like it used to be. 85 degree day today... the car used to freeze me out if I let it. Also noticed a whiring / wobble noise from the vents.

Hoping mobile service can fix this...

It is sounding like a service issue, but I did want to address that if you redirect to the floor, that takes away from dash vents. I was going to ask if have the dash output selected in the AC?

I tried all sorts of settings from dash to defroster to floor - none seemed to work. After I left the car sitting for a few hours I went and turned it on and the noise was gone and the air seemed to blow about right. I guess I have a blower motor or bearing going out that shows itself when it has run a while.

Last edited:
I tried all sorts of settings from dash to defroster to floor - none seemed to work. After I left the car sitting for a few hours I went and turned it on and the noise was gone and the air seemed to blow about right. I guess I have a blower motor or bearing going out that shows itself when it has run a while.
Yep: sounds like a service call is in order here.

Reactions: hcdavis3
did you ever get this resolved? I have the same issue or something similar. Took it to Tesla today and they couldn't find any problem. Air blows around the driver but not directly in front. With the vent position set to the middle and strength of 10 you can feel the power of the air on the sides but it's very reduced in the middle. I found that after a while of driving (or randomly) it would suddenly kick in and blast me in the face with cold air.. but rarely. Took it to the SC and they checked the actuators but couldn't see anything wrong. It's a bit tough to describe and being intermittent a little hard to diagnose. Not sure what I should do. Trying to get these small things fixed before I go out of warranty soon.

Reactions: calidreamz808
I haven’t had the issue since the day I posted. we were on a road trip and had a bunch of stuff in floor area behind the drivers seat. I think it may have blocked airflow to the point that it messed up the system temporarily. No issues since I removed everything from the floor area and I now know to keep it clear...

did you ever get this resolved? I have the same issue or something similar. Took it to Tesla today and they couldn't find any problem. Air blows around the driver but not directly in front. With the vent position set to the middle and strength of 10 you can feel the power of the air on the sides but it's very reduced in the middle. I found that after a while of driving (or randomly) it would suddenly kick in and blast me in the face with cold air.. but rarely. Took it to the SC and they checked the actuators but couldn't see anything wrong. It's a bit tough to describe and being intermittent a little hard to diagnose. Not sure what I should do. Trying to get these small things fixed before I go out of warranty soon.
Hello Angelman,

I have this same exact problem on my car. Has the SC determined what the problem is?

I was going to post a new thread about this, but thought I'd just add to this one first.

I had a similar issue- the air flow was mostly biased toward the center of the car. Even when split or not split and set toward the window, the air flow was always incorrect and hard to control. I also had some clicking noises which sounded like the vents were trying to move, but were stuck.

The service center looked at it and verified the issue and replaced the Air Vent Assembly with part number 1083320-00-F.

Now here's the deal- it's WAY better now, but it doesn't operate like it used to and not like the passenger side does. On the passenger side, I can 100% change the airflow to full left/full right, and split (with no air flow coming from the center). The driver's side ALWAYS has a bit of airflow coming from the center, regardless of the setting.

Looking at part numbers and parts available on eBay, I am seeing several part numbers (notice the last one with the -00-D. Mine is 00-F.

1095415 2080547X T0529620 2062760X 1083320-00-D

Could it be that the new Air Vent Assembly is supposed to act this way now? Yes I can ask the Service Center, but I'd rather hear from actual user's before I go bugging them.

(EDIT: looking at eBay, the vent assemblies from 2017-2020 indicate that they are not compatible with 2021 model years- unless they haven't updated the adds yet).

Can anyone with a new Model 3 confirm the operation of their air flow settings?

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: KenC
I was going to post a new thread about this, but thought I'd just add to this one first.

I had a similar issue- the air flow was mostly biased toward the center of the car. Even when split or not split and set toward the window, the air flow was always incorrect and hard to control. I also had some clicking noises which sounded like the vents were trying to move, but were stuck.

The service center looked at it and verified the issue and replaced the Air Vent Assembly with part number 1083320-00-F.

Now here's the deal- it's WAY better now, but it doesn't operate like it used to and not like the passenger side does. On the passenger side, I can 100% change the airflow to full left/full right, and split (with no air flow coming from the center). The driver's side ALWAYS has a bit of airflow coming from the center, regardless of the setting.

Looking at part numbers and parts available on eBay, I am seeing several part numbers (notice the last one with the -00-D. Mine is 00-F.

1095415 2080547X T0529620 2062760X 1083320-00-D

Could it be that the new Air Vent Assembly is supposed to act this way now? Yes I can ask the Service Center, but I'd rather hear from actual user's before I go bugging them.

(EDIT: looking at eBay, the vent assemblies from 2017-2020 indicate that they are not compatible with 2021 model years- unless they haven't updated the adds yet).

Can anyone with a new Model 3 confirm the operation of their air flow settings?

Hi medphys3,

Did you ever get an answer? On my 2018 Model 3 I noticed airflow to the driver's face didn't seem to be flowing well (and thought I heard some extra noises from that assembly area).

On a whim I ordered the -D part from eBay to do a swap out to see if it would help. What they sent was the -F part. Wondering if it will work.

Also, do I need to take off the upper (soft plastic) part of the dash somehow to remove the air vent assembly? I removed the wood trim and the screws to the next part and got stuck thinking I'd break something by going further.

Thanks,
Andrew

Hi medphys3,

Did you ever get an answer? On my 2018 Model 3 I noticed airflow to the driver's face didn't seem to be flowing well (and thought I heard some extra noises from that assembly area).

On a whim I ordered the -D part from eBay to do a swap out to see if it would help. What they sent was the -F part. Wondering if it will work.

Also, do I need to take off the upper (soft plastic) part of the dash somehow to remove the air vent assembly? I removed the wood trim and the screws to the next part and got stuck thinking I'd break something by going further.

Thanks,
Andrew

I'm pretty sure that the D and F parts are the same.

When I replaced the one that Tesla installed with a used one from eBay, I found out that the one Tesla had installed, had the white cap that covers the actuators (see white piece on the right in the picture) was missing so the vents wouldn't move properly. I did install the one from eBay and everything is A OK now.

You do not need to remove the soft part of the dash. Once all of the fasteners are removed from the piece behind the wood trim piece, it'll pop out. I'm pretty sure you need to yank quite hard towards the center, behind the display. It's a bit unnerving.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-11-18 at 13-36-14 1083320-00-F_800x.jpg (WEBP Image 800 × 483 pixels).png
    Screenshot 2022-11-18 at 13-36-14 1083320-00-F_800x.jpg (WEBP Image 800 × 483 pixels).png
    358 KB · Views: 179
Hi medphys3,

Thanks,
Andrew
Thank you for responding - that's great info! I'll have to try again once I get up the nerve.

Focus this week is to replace the front brake pads and rotors - one of the pads fell apart when I removed it for an annual service (rusted right off the backplate). Now to figure out which bolts to NOT loosen on the front calipers.

Thanks again

I have this exact issue on the passenger side (front). Straight towards the passenger I can’t feel the air but top area and bottom area are both fine.

I have this exact issue on the passenger side (front). Straight towards the passenger I can’t feel the air but top area and bottom area are both fine.
If you are still under warranty, have the SC sort it out. If they are resistant or give you the runaround with some lame excuse, try my trick with some paper strips/streamers or something similar to literally demonstrate it visually not working. I found that sending them a video of this and then showing them directly got immediate response after they initially brushed me off.