Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

front vs rear tire wear

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
12000 mi 2020 AWD M3 with stock 18" MMX4

I noticed that the front tires have considerably more tread wear than the rear tires. Normal?
Tesla supposedly rotated the tires recently but I don't know what pattern they used.

Should I move the front to the rear? Get an alignment? I'd like to get at least another year out of this set...

I noticed that the front tires have considerably more tread wear than the rear tires. Normal?
Tesla supposedly rotated the tires recently but I don't know what pattern they used.

Should I move the front to the rear? Get an alignment? I'd like to get at least another year out of this set...
I rotate mine front to back about every 8000 miles.

Yes, rear tires wear faster on Teslas so those tires your rotation just moved from the rear to the front should have had more wear. Even AWD dual motor use the back motor by far the most. The typical rotation is front to back keeping the sides the same. I wouldn't worry about rotating until the rears have 2/32 less than the front.

• Helpful
Reactions: jjrandorin

Yeah the rear tires wear faster than the front ones on Teslas so when they rotated them they moved the back ones up front and the fronts to the back, that's why your front ones have more wear now. They should even out once the rear ones wear down faster.

thanks... I was/am surprised there was such a big difference between front and rear tire wear... I don't think my BMW AWD 328xi has such a big diff...

I'm not sure there is enough left on the (now) front tires to make it through the next winter's snow...

I've had 3 sets of the MMX4 tires on my 2018 AWD M3, rears wear at about double the rate of the fronts. Each set has lasted ~13k miles, mixed freeway and country roads. I did get an alignment done by the service center, which improved the wear patterns on the individual tires, but it still eats the MMX4 tires at the same rate.

My 2019 M3 Dual Motor pops up a notice telling me of uneven wear. I checked and saw the front tires threads are almost gone (31K miles) but rear tires have rather deep threads left. I read this thread of posting and some reported more rear tire wear than front. There seems to have not general pattern of what caused the uneven wearing.

I haven't rotated my tires either, after 25k miles the tires have worn quite evenly.

25k miles is a long time to go without rotating tires on a non-staggered setup. One thing about ICE vehicles as you are always triggered to rotate the tires at oil change intervals but with EV's you kind of have to keep a schedule on when you rotate your tires I guess.