TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Front Wheel or Rear Wheel, how to tell the difference?

Discussion in 'Model X: Interior & Exterior' started by BigHempin, Aug 26, 2018.

1. BigHempin

BigHempin Member

Hello Everyone. I have kind of a stupid question. I was curious, on the factory 20' model X wheels how can I tell the difference between the front and rear wheel if they are off the vehicle. The reason I ask is because I removed all my wheels and replaced them with TSportline wheels. I took one of the OEM wheels in and had them put a tire on it as a spare. I don't remember if I took them a front or rear wheel. I have heard that only the front wheel and tire will work as a spare so I just want to confirm that it is the front wheel that I have as a spare. I have an 8 hour road trip and I have had 3 nails in my tires since I bought this vehicle 5 months ago, so I plan to carry a spare on the family road trip. What a pain...

2. DCGOO

DCGOO Member

The front wheels are narrower (265 vs 285). If you stick a rear wheel on the front, damage is likely.

• Informative x 1
  3. BigHempin

BigHempin Member

Correct! So what I am asking is how to confirm that my spare is a front wheel? I had a tire put onto one of my OEM wheels after I bought after market wheels. I think I had them put a tire on one of the front OEM wheels but I don't remember. So what I am asking is how do I confirm that my spare is indeed a front wheel and safe to use as a spare? Is the size written on the wheel or tire somewhere(I can't find it)?

4. BigHempin

BigHempin Member

Ok Im an idiot, I found it. 265, written in big letters right on the side of the tire. So that confirms this is a front wheel. Is this safe to use as a spare even on the rear? Thanks!!!

• Funny x 1
  5. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

True story: I know someone who had their brand new Model X delivered with the wheels on "backwards" (bigger ones on the front). No damage, but just some rubbing noise when turning sharp. Tesla swapped them back to their proper positions and problem solved.

• Funny x 1
  6. Yinn

Yinn Active Member

275 in the rear. 285 only on the 22's.

For a short distance, shouldn't be a major issue. But you really should use the corresponding wheel; front to front, rear to rear for all the electronics to be calibrated properly.

7. ai4px

ai4px Wes

Wait... you can't rotate the tires on a model X? We used to have a Gen Coupe that was the same way... front tires would wear and we couldn't spread out the wear by moving them to the rear... holy cow....

8. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

Correct, although Tesla does offer a 19" winter wheel and tire package all the same size. I suppose you could order those rims from Tesla and put your own rubber on. I am planning to do that for my winters because I don't care for the Pirelli tires Tesla supplies in the package.

• Informative x 1