Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Front window not closing properly

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

outie

May 22, 2016
SoCal
Hi I was wondering if anyone else this issue I saw the other day.

When you open the door, the window comes down a little bit, and when you close the door, the window comes back up to seal. So one day when I closed the door, the window went up but went over the gasket/b pillar a little bit. So it's not properly sealed and it looked like the window was stretched to cover over the gasket/frame/b pillar. I didn't take a pic but I opened and closed it again and it went back to normal.

I wonder if that's also what caused a weird wind noise for the passenger door the other day.

Hi I was wondering if anyone else this issue I saw the other day.

When you open the door, the window comes down a little bit, and when you close the door, the window comes back up to seal. So one day when I closed the door, the window went up but went over the gasket/b pillar a little bit. So it's not properly sealed and it looked like the window was stretched to cover over the gasket/frame/b pillar. I didn't take a pic but I opened and closed it again and it went back to normal.

I wonder if that's also what caused a weird wind noise for the passenger door the other day.

You need to reset the window "up" setting:
1) put the window all of the way down and close the door
2) with the door closed, open the window all of the way by holding the switch
3) when it is fully closed, hold the switch in the up position one more time about 5 seconds - this should reset the computer
4) go ahead and try opening/closing the door to see if the window works correctly again. If not, try the procedure again.

• Informative
Reactions: outie
I had this happen from time to time and eventually the door latches failed (known defect with early part numbers). When the SC replaced them, they mentioned the door latch was at fault for the window issue. If that is true, I would highly suggest contacting your SC, as the car is essentially unusable when the latch fails. For what it's worth, it has not happened since latches were replaced, and it used to occur at least weekly if not daily for me.

• Informative
Reactions: cwerdna
Happened again and I got to take a pic.

My car was produced in September so I am not sure if the door latch issue is still appearing on these later cars.

I did the window reset but apparently it's still happening. The whole window ran over the top of the top trim.

IMG_5237.JPG

Happened again and I got to take a pic.

My car was produced in September so I am not sure if the door latch issue is still appearing on these later cars.

I did the window reset but apparently it's still happening. The whole window ran over the top of the top trim.

View attachment 201084
Yep, that's exactly what was happening with ours on both sides. 15 days and ~1800 miles after the latch replacements, it hasn't happened once. Coincidence is always possible, but it used to be a very regular occurrence.

Happens to mine regularly. SC has reset the window a few times. The worst part is it will get worse. Mine refuses to auto-up or down, and will sometimes go all the way down when exiting the car, requiring a trip back in the car.

My latches were replaced at the end of February but the problem with the passenger and driver windows overlapping happened on August right after software upgrade. They said my car had lost its configuration for the windows as well as spoiler. I had tried both methods of recalibrating the windows but they said the published methods only work for small variances and when it completely loses its configuration it has to be fixed by the SS.