Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Front window tinting

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tinting front windows is illegal in most jurisdictions.

In Ontario, it's a gray zone. The Act does not prohibit front side window tinting and does not set a maximum limit. The requirement is that the driver can been seen clearly from outside the car. That's rather subjective. Anecdotal evidence shows that if you have the white interior, you can probably gat away with a darker tint since it makes the inside of the car more visible.

In Quebec, the limit is 70%, and police officers will bring uot a meter to measure it if they suspect it is too high. I way ticketed way back when I used to live there. They did not require removal of the tint though, they just said the fine is higher if they catch you a second time. Considering I was a few months away from moving to Ontario, I didn't bother.

Some provinces outright forbid it. I think that's the case in BC and NB.

In Ontario, it's a gray zone. The Act does not prohibit front side window tinting and does not set a maximum limit. The requirement is that the driver can been seen clearly from outside the car. That's rather subjective. Anecdotal evidence shows that if you have the white interior, you can probably gat away with a darker tint since it makes the inside of the car more visible.

In Quebec, the limit is 70%, and police officers will bring uot a meter to measure it if they suspect it is too high. I way ticketed way back when I used to live there. They did not require removal of the tint though, they just said the fine is higher if they catch you a second time. Considering I was a few months away from moving to Ontario, I didn't bother.

Some provinces outright forbid it. I think that's the case in BC and NB.

I've seen soo many tinted cars here in the GTA, most are like 0-10%! I was planning on getting 30%, do you think that would cause problems if I drive to Montreal with it?

I've seen soo many tinted cars here in the GTA, most are like 0-10%! I was planning on getting 30%, do you think that would cause problems if I drive to Montreal with it?

My understanding is that you cannot be ticketed if your car is legal in the province it is registered in. It's like winter tires, which are mandatory in Quebec. I've never heard of someone from another province being fined for driving there on all-seasons in the winter.

35% is starting to get fairly dark for front windows and may be hit or miss. 50% you're likely to have no issues back east in most circumstances whereas on the west coast we've never seen a problem with 70% although technically not legal. This said you see lots going around with 50% on front windows. Hope all goes well for you and happy new year... :)

80% or 70% Xpel PRIME XR literally doesn't cut down any view out the windows day or night, to any noticeable degree whatsoever, moon or near no moon at night etc... It's a very light film and personally even with polarized glasses I have no rainbowing issues at all... Top quality ceramic nano tech film for sure.
How can any reduction of light transmission not impede night visibility?

• Informative
Reactions: angus[Y]oung
How can any reduction of light transmission not impede night visibility?

I'll rephrase it. While a tint at any level will reduce visibility, at the higher percentages it's not nearly as noticeable - you can still see almost everything at night with what I've got. I find with my wife's Model Y that the rear view is more impeded than on my S with the 45% tint (please note that I made a mistake - the windshield is at 75% and not 70). I can easily see things around the vehicle at night even as my eyes are getting older.

Note that you were suggesting doing 30% on those windows - the difference would be more noticeable than the 45%. Are you looking at this for style, for cutting down glare, to make the cabin darker? Are you doing it to cut down heat in the cabin? What's the reason for you doing this? I was going for cutting down the heat in the cabin without having problems at night - the levels I purchased works well for me. I discussed it with the installer in detail and this is what we worked out. This is my perception in the end of things, so you'll have to decide what works for you.

I'll rephrase it. While a tint at any level will reduce visibility, at the higher percentages it's not nearly as noticeable - you can still see almost everything at night with what I've got. I find with my wife's Model Y that the rear view is more impeded than on my S with the 45% tint (please note that I made a mistake - the windshield is at 75% and not 70). I can easily see things around the vehicle at night even as my eyes are getting older.

Note that you were suggesting doing 30% on those windows - the difference would be more noticeable than the 45%. Are you looking at this for style, for cutting down glare, to make the cabin darker? Are you doing it to cut down heat in the cabin? What's the reason for you doing this? I was going for cutting down the heat in the cabin without having problems at night - the levels I purchased works well for me. I discussed it with the installer in detail and this is what we worked out. This is my perception in the end of things, so you'll have to decide what works for you.

mostly for privacy!