Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Front windows roll up speed?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone experienced front windows rolling up speed is way too slow compared to rolling down?
My drivers window barely moved up when I took delivery and had the service center fix it. After they fixed it, it still seemed to go up slow but they assured me this is normal for Model X’s. It still annoys me but I’ve come to deal with it. I just try not to open the windows more than I have to.

Reactions: laceyboy
All of my windows close at about the same speed (the driver door may literally take one second longer at this point, probably less than that). Twice, over time, the driver door window has progressed through these steps:
  1. Gotten notably slower than the others
  2. Made a lot of creaking and popping noises
  3. Ultimately gotten to the point where it would sometimes reverse instead of completely closing
Both (2) and (3) really seemed as if there was something in a bind, but both times, once it got to (3), the regulator was replaced to resolve the issue and speed came close to on par with the other four windows. Note that I've had it in for this issue three times; they've only fixed it once I've reached (3) an not at the point of (2). This may be because I was too early in the second phase such that they couldn't reproduce it with differing ambient conditions.

My car was delivered with this "feature" particularly on the driver's side. Slow, sometimes noisy, to the point I was worried I'd be stuck with an open window or a broken one. Mobile service ended up replacing the inner window seals and it's both quieter and operates more quickly and smoothly now. It was particularly bad in winter or when wet.

Trust your eyeballs and ears. If it seems wrong it's probably wrong. Nothing Tesla does on these cars from a body and trim perspective is special or different other than sometimes being particularly poorly executed through design or assembly or both. I have a 13 year old car that has better fit and finish in the interior than this thing has brand new, the wipers work better, the buttons and switchgear work better, and the windows work better, that 13 year old BMW is much better screwed together in all respects and everything the driver touches or moves operates more smoothly, more quietly, and more reliably. Don't get me wrong, it all "works" in the Tesla, but it all feels half-baked when you've been used to Toyotas and BMW's and such where the engineering behind all these systems was institutionally excellent for decades before you got the car. Tesla isn't a body and trim company, at least not yet, not when they designed Model X from a clean sheet of paper just 8 years ago, and brought it to production just 6 years ago, when they were barely making any cars at all. I'm willing to forgive that stuff bceause I like the product and I'm an Enjoyer of Weird Cars. But I have no idea how they expect the average vehicle purchaser to put up with this stuff. I guess that's why X is priced where it is, lol, Anyway, end rant.

But the service people are, usually, able to make the car better than new. Everything I've brought to their attention so far has been addressed and then some, so, [fanboy] the car isn't just getting software improvements continuously, it's also finishing its QC checks and getting better every time! [ / fanboy]

Last edited:
We had a situation recently where the driver's side window would really struggle to roll up. For example, when I'd pull the toggle to have it auto-up, it would go up a couple of inches and then stop and roll back down. It seemed like it was encountering what it thought was resistance and went down. I suppose this is a safety feature so body parts don't get stuck. I was able to inch it up, one toggle-pull at a time and scheduled a mobile service appointment.

When the service tech came out he mentioned a few things:
- The windows have regulators that sense resistance and will trigger the window to stop going up
- Going up slowly is just how they are, annoying, but that's how they are built
- The tracks get *really* dirty over time and should be cleaned often, especially if you are going on dirt roads. Those tracks create additional friction, which causes the stop/go-down condition
- The regulator can be lubricated and the angle can be adjusted if you have a severe problem like we did
- The resistance level *CAN BE ADJUSTED*!!! We had just gotten our windows tinted and should have had the sensing level adjusted to the "new level".

To adjust the sensing level, do as follows:
  1. Roll the window down by holding the toggle button down the entire time.
  2. Continue holding the toggle button down for 5 seconds after it rolls all the way down.
  3. Roll the window up, holding the toggle button up the entire time.
  4. Continue holding the toggle button up for 5 seconds after it rolls all the way up.
  5. The sensing level is now reset.

So odd, my windows were super slow going up when I took delivery, so much so that I got it checked out within a couple of weeks (was told it was normal). Then somehow, miraculously, over the years they are now almost normal speed without any kind of intervention! I literally think about it every time I use the windows, lol. I thought it was a software fix but it couldn’t be with the above complaints.

I thought there was something wrong with my 2019 MX P100D also. I traded a 2016 BMW 750Li and was absolutely spoiled at the speed (and sturdiness) of the window motion in that car. It raised and lowered super-fast, and when closed it was seriously vault-like. When I got the X, I noticed immediately how slowly the windows raise. Normally not an issue, but there have been situations where, it's raining outside and I've had to lower my window to pay for parking before exiting a parking lot, and as I'm driving away, rain is pouring in as the window slowly, agonizingly creeps upward to close. Over time, I've simply gotten used to it, and consider it a small nit in what has otherwise been an outstanding ownership experience. I've said it before and I'll say it again -- this Model X is the best car I've ever owned.