Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Front windscreen defogging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi

I use to be able to have the windscreen defogging set to power number one so it gently keeps the windscreen clear.

For some reason I can’t do this anymore. If I use the defogger the power goes to 6 and if I go lower it automatically deactivated defogging the from window.

Any way to rectify this?

Basically I want the heater on minimum setting if 1 with the defogger on

Hi

I use to be able to have the windscreen defogging set to power number one so it gently keeps the windscreen clear.

For some reason I can’t do this anymore. If I use the defogger the power goes to 6 and if I go lower it automatically deactivated defogging the from window.

Any way to rectify this?

It depends on the interaction of humidity, temperature plus any HVAC software tweaks that may have come along in the interim! Fan at number 1 can be overwhelmed in some circumstances. I used to do the same as you because a few years ago I was unimpressed with the Auto settings for HVAC and wanted to feel that I was using less energy. About 6 months ago, after a couple of instances where the windscreen started to mist up, I switched to Auto ... and ... surprise surprise after a couple of minutes of frantic activity everything was sorted out and the fans backed off and life was good! I am now mostly happy to leave it in Auto and let it do its thing ... though I occasionally switch off totally and crack the window if I'm driving slow and the temperature is at that nice "in-between" point. (I also speculate that running the fan at number 1 may actually require the AC cooler to work harder to maintain the temperature ... so nothing gained anyway.)

As an adjunct to this post - my windscreen is constantly filthy inside (not misty), as if the filter (if there is one) isn't working. Does anyone else have this experience and is there a cure?
There most definitely is a filter:
Model 3 has air filters that prevent pollen, industrial fallout, road dust, and other particles from entering the cabin through the vents. Tesla recommends replacing these filters every 2 years (every year in China). Cabin filters can be purchased at the Tesla online store.

Hi

Any way to rectify this?

Doesn’t directly solve your issue but I use a dehumidifier bag in my cars. Fairly cheap and the first sign of fogging up i chuck it in the microwave and it’s ready to go again.

Used them for years

Hillington Reusable Car Interior Dehumidifier Bag and Dashboard Mounting Anti-Slip Mat - Ideal for Use in Vehicles to Prevent Damp, Moisture, and Condensation (2 x 1KG) https://amzn.eu/d/h07jG2Q