Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Front windshield defrost question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Alset2

Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2020
Ocala. Fl
So I am putting together a list of small items to schedule a service . My defrost appears to always allow some air to flow through it to my windshield. When its humid out, it fogs up the bottom of my glass. I know that cars, by default, will run A/C through defrost even with heat on, but I have never had a car that defaults to defrost vent always being open???
Maybe this a new way of doing things..lol

Not really the end of the world but wondering if I should add it to the list?

Any input would be appreciated

Sorry to revive an old thread that no one was interested in but...lol

So since the OP , I had a service done, The tech said he had never seen it before but manually did something to the acuator and then called Tesla and they said there was some software tweaking that needed to be done..long story short, it was fixed for about 2 weeks until I got an update, then it immediately came back . SO I have some other issues scheduled for service so I added this to it.

I just got a text from Tesla saying the defrost is normal so they are removing that from the service?????? WTF????

I sent a rather long text but stated with the fact that they just fixed it last month and it was not "normal" then. So i guess maybe an update made it a new featur instead of a problem .

I am generally an understanding person , but I sent a lengthy text telling them of my extensive automotive repair history and that I would not accept this condition in a $20K car , certainly not is a $90k car.

I really dont want to be a Richard Cranium about it but, those kind of responses really bother me. Maybe it is normal. Maybe they will not let the defrost vent close, I would find that highly suspect though...

IDK, I dont want to be a pain, but ....

Reactions: Ewiz
Sorry to revive an old thread that no one was interested in but...lol

So since the OP , I had a service done, The tech said he had never seen it before but manually did something to the acuator and then called Tesla and they said there was some software tweaking that needed to be done..long story short, it was fixed for about 2 weeks until I got an update, then it immediately came back . SO I have some other issues scheduled for service so I added this to it.

I just got a text from Tesla saying the defrost is normal so they are removing that from the service?????? WTF????

I sent a rather long text but stated with the fact that they just fixed it last month and it was not "normal" then. So i guess maybe an update made it a new featur instead of a problem .

I am generally an understanding person , but I sent a lengthy text telling them of my extensive automotive repair history and that I would not accept this condition in a $20K car , certainly not is a $90k car.

I really dont want to be a Richard Cranium about it but, those kind of responses really bother me. Maybe it is normal. Maybe they will not let the defrost vent close, I would find that highly suspect though...

IDK, I dont want to be a pain, but ....

I found this in the owner's manual. Any chance you are manually setting the flow to the floor?

"Note: When air is directed to the foot-level vents, approximately one third of the air continues
to flow to the windshield vents to assist in defogging. However, when air is directed to the
face-level vents, air does not flow to the windshield because the air flowing through the facelevel
vents can assist in defogging the windshield."

If you aren't, I wonder if it is possible that the software glitch is that the bleed flow (the 1/3 flow) is being activated under additional conditions....

• Helpful
Reactions: Alset2
Thank you for pointing that out.

Well, I feel like a dope for not reading that before i sent the text.... Yes I keep it on foot and face . I honestly have never heard of such a thing as not being able to control where the air flows in a cars HVAC system. I know some auto settings can do such things but every car I have ever had I could control this .

I am sending an apology text right now but I am going to ask if its possible to be able to control the defrost airflow maybe in the future.
I have never had a windshield fog up like this one does , its really bad.
I will deal with hot feet I guess and see if it fixes my fogging .

Thanks again .