Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Front windshield sun shade

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This one is EXCELLENT!!!! I used it for the first time today. I have both the Tesla shades on the roof windows, and this on the front windshield and it was amazing getting into the car today after a full 9 hrs parked in the hot sun!! It's insulated, not flimsy, perfect fit, and a soft fabric so it won't scratch! Other side is the reflective mylar.
IMG_0676.PNG

This one is EXCELLENT!!!! I used it for the first time today. I have both the Tesla shades on the roof windows, and this on the front windshield and it was amazing getting into the car today after a full 9 hrs parked in the hot sun!! It's insulated, not flimsy, perfect fit, and a soft fabric so it won't scratch! Other side is the reflective mylar. View attachment 399603

I have this one also, no complaints!

Reactions: Runnergirl
A caution to watch how the sunshades sit on the dash - a poster from a while back said that it damaged the mesh surface where the dash meets the windshield. Seems like the spring frame type would be less likely to contact the fabric there.

Why does no-one build an LCD shutter into the windows so that they can go opaque when the car is unoccupied?

You can actually get windows with LCD shutters built in for your home.

This one is EXCELLENT!!!! I used it for the first time today. I have both the Tesla shades on the roof windows, and this on the front windshield and it was amazing getting into the car today after a full 9 hrs parked in the hot sun!! It's insulated, not flimsy, perfect fit, and a soft fabric so it won't scratch! Other side is the reflective mylar.

Ditto. That's the one I got too. No way I'd use what was in OP. To weird for me.

A pair of ovalish large spring open-twist closed are $9 at Wal Mart.
I use these, or something quite similar. The real trick is finding something one likes and USES. I'm not convinced that one vendor is much better than another in heat rejection.

At home I park facing southwest under a small tree that covers most of the roof when the sun is high in the sky, and I always place the sunshield and open windows for ventilation. This week I took the car out at 4 pm for a quick drive to the city 6 miles each way for shopping. Outside ambient was 94F. AC was set to 68F. The fan blew loudly at the beginning of the trip for about a minute or two and then was pretty sedate.

Round trip: 180 Wh/mile.

Point of the story: A bit of thought to car orientation, use of the sun-shield and ventilation work GREAT in the summer. Oh ... and fabric seat covers.

Last edited:
What I find annoying about the custom-made rolled or folded shades is that they don't fit in the frunk where they are out of the way (they are too long because of the height of the Model 3 windshield). For that reason I usually leave mine at home and have a pair of those cheap "twist" style shades from Walmart in the frunk.

I have the one that first posted by Runnergirl and mentioned by others - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07CYGJ1TB/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1 - Really like it, but have the same gripe as Scrutmonkey in wishing it was a few inches bigger. It's super easy getting in and out, though. Still lets some sun in around the mirror and sun visors.

I originally had this one -- https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07BZ4BVNF/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1 -- which I bought before getting the 3 last December because it was on several must-have accessories lists (ended up replacing a lot of the early accessories I picked up before receiving delivery...). But it didn't work for me, personally, because the rolling was just slightly too much of a pain in the butt for me to be dealing with every day I'm parked at work.

Haven't ever tried anything like the OP shared.

I picked up a Car and Driver foldable jumbo sun shade for the front window for like $6 from a Ross store. First time ever buying one of these for a car. Doesn't fit completely (however jumbo does do a good job reaching from top to bottom and sides are larger than needed so folded down into the car). I had investigated HeatShield ( Windshield Sun Shades, Car Window Shades and Car Window Covers by HeatShield: The Original Windshield Sun Shade ) when I was ordering my Model 3 back last June. Didn't receive my car until September so held off buying anything. Recently picked up the Tesla front roof sun shade but that doesn't do anything for the front windshield which is a huge expanse of glass. The fit is custom on the HeatShield product, so in the end with Summer starting to heat up out here, I ordered a HeatShield from the company. Check the site for free shipping special. I ordered online but later spoke to the company to see if I could get a better idea of delivery time. Local to the company so arranged for Will Call pickup but for others nice to save on shipping. I think I'll have it before the 4th but he did say that they have been swamped with orders with temps around the country rising so much lately and people opting for the shades.

I decided to go this route for better coverage and decided since my car sits outside parked that it would be better to treat my car to as much protection from the sun as I could give it within reason. I will be curious to monitor if there's a difference in how often or much cabin overheat protection needs to come on. Hoping for a reduction in range loss using one of these products.

Last edited: