Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Front windshield tint rainbow??

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
285B82E5-D7C5-4D55-8FBD-0FB7902290D7.jpeg
I recently got my windows tinted on my Model 3, to include the front windshield. The front windshield has a weird rainbow effect when the sun is off to the left or right of the car. It’s more noticeable with my sunglasses (NON-polarized) but it’s there regardless. I’ve attached a couple pics and a video so you can see what I mean. It’s subtle but it’s annoying. My best friend’s Model 3 does NOT have this effect. Thoughts? Would you say there’s something wrong with the tint?

Attachments

• 6B3E2403-D0D0-448F-9579-61694F8FA25E.jpeg
    6B3E2403-D0D0-448F-9579-61694F8FA25E.jpeg
    215.3 KB · Views: 155
  • D32E46B0-92EC-402F-A40F-E85214E1E44F.jpeg
    D32E46B0-92EC-402F-A40F-E85214E1E44F.jpeg
    199.5 KB · Views: 121
And this is why you don't tint the front windshield. There was a guy on reddit that did the same thing and he had it removed a few weeks later because it caused visibility issues.
He got the incorrect film. Windshield is one of the most important to tint. I've had tinted windshields on all sorts of cars since 1999 - no issues. Even with metal films and polarized sunglasses I've never had any visual issues.

My windshield is tinted and I don’t see any rainbow effect until I put on polarized sunglasses. Even then, it is not noticeable looking straight ahead. It is slightly noticeable looking at the sides of windshield, and most noticeable looking upwards. All that being said, after a couple of weeks it stopped bothering me.

My wife never saw it under any circumstance. I regularly drive coworkers around and have asked them about it, and none of them can see it. It appears that the ability to see this varies by individual.

i have xpel xr plus on the front and only when looking out at an extreme angle can i see a bit of "waves" in my vision, with our without polarized glasses. i cant remember if it was there before tint since i got it pretty quick. its nearly unnoticeable and doesnt bother me or any passengers. not sure if thats the same as the rainbows you speak of

I got the ceramic tint it I dont remember the %. It’s the same exact one as my friend but he doesn’t have the rainbows. If they can’t fix it I’ll just take it off the front windshield. I can’t stand it. I guess I don’t NEED the front windshield.