Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Frontview (or multi-view) 720p camera for Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi there! After 3 months testing , trouble-shootings, struggling. We finally made an after-market (non-Tesla camera) 720p camera to be displayed onto the 17-inch screen with our digital video switching board.

Our video switching board can take maximum 3 video channels input, and then output up-to 3video channels to the vehicle 17" TFT screen. Which means we can add 1 front-view camera, 1 side-view camera, altogether with the original rear-view camera to do some customizations / combinations of display modes (switching) to the 17" TFT screen, such as:

- front-view only
- rear-view only
- front-view + rear-view
- front-view + side-view
- rear-view + side-view
- front-view + rear-view + side-view

we have just tapped display protocol and got the first image today, will try to make more updates from time to time.

P.S: I am sure Model X takes the same video signal too, so we will try to test with Model X later

Attachments

• IMG_3669.JPG
    IMG_3669.JPG
    169 KB · Views: 986
Hi there! After 3 months testing , trouble-shootings, struggling. We finally made an after-market (non-Tesla camera) 720p camera to be displayed onto the 17-inch screen with our digital video switching board.

Our video switching board can take maximum 3 video channels input, and then output up-to 3video channels to the vehicle 17" TFT screen. Which means we can add 1 front-view camera, 1 side-view camera, altogether with the original rear-view camera to do some customizations / combinations of display modes (switching) to the 17" TFT screen, such as:

- front-view only
- rear-view only
- front-view + rear-view
- front-view + side-view
- rear-view + side-view
- front-view + rear-view + side-view

we have just tapped display protocol and got the first image today, will try to make more updates from time to time.

P.S: I am sure Model X takes the same video signal too, so we will try to test with Model X later

With all due respect, if the photo you posted of the touchscreen is an example of the camera images, you have a very long way to go. The distortion make the images almost useless.

Following this post to see how this goes and the price it will end up...

It would be nice to double up as a dashcam too depending on camera positions...

For DashCam solution , it’s ideally the Dashcam comes with the built-in forward viewing sensor (2-3Megapixel) with 1080p60 encoding capability, and specifically equipped with the external A/V (HD resolution) in outlet for rear-view camera recording. We can make a converter that taps and converters the video signal from the stock rear view camera and then transmit the 720p video signal to the mentioned DashCam thru the normal AV (RCA) cable. Also, you will see what you see from your LCD panel as usual (which means the video converter does not affect the original video signal from rear view camera to the LCD panel

For this video converter board , I should better post in a new thread later on

What will be the method for switching from rear to front camera?

There is definitely interest in a product like this.
The switching is done by software. I am thinking to add a RF module to the board so that the switching will be implement by a small button thru RF.

Btw, as the front view camera is also a fisheye (we insist to use fisheye because of the 180degree super-wide viewing angle), the advantage of fisheye is that we can customize some funny and indeed practical display modes for each of the camera (front and rear camera), for example : topview (birdview), superwide angle , normal angle , combined view (super wide angle + topview) etc....

Hope I am not going to far and complicated, here attached a picture of a combined display mode (super wide angle + topview ) from the front fisheye camera

Attachments

• 1CD8C7E3-23A1-4CFF-896E-E854EA227A57.jpeg
    1CD8C7E3-23A1-4CFF-896E-E854EA227A57.jpeg
    243.4 KB · Views: 794
  • 423538E7-E1EC-408D-AE5C-4780B41AE665.jpeg
    423538E7-E1EC-408D-AE5C-4780B41AE665.jpeg
    330.3 KB · Views: 753
  • A6C8EBFD-97BE-4E85-A070-0BC40E25A7F8.jpeg
    A6C8EBFD-97BE-4E85-A070-0BC40E25A7F8.jpeg
    241 KB · Views: 765
I would recommend reconsidering the fish eye. We don't need 180 degrees in the front. The biggest concern is hitting low objects that we can't see below the hood. Fish eye distorts these distances and makes the purpose worthless. In the back we need 180 degrees to see objects coming from the side. That isn't an issue in front.

Reactions: davidc18
I would recommend reconsidering the fish eye. We don't need 180 degrees in the front. The biggest concern is hitting low objects that we can't see below the hood. Fish eye distorts these distances and makes the purpose worthless. In the back we need 180 degrees to see objects coming from the side. That isn't an issue in front.

Thanks for the input, there are some pros and cons for fisheye. But for seeing the low objects/obstacles in close distance, the bird-view mode is the perfect one. Therefore, we have made the bird-view mode, or even combined view (birdview + superwide angle). The birdview mode can only be made from fisheye camera. Normal narrow angle camera is simply hard to generate the birdview mode

The below Youtube like is the multi-view mode (I made for Toyota spade for my friend) for backup / rearview, that's the same implementation for forward looking / frontview

Reactions: android04
just got a 720p frontview camera from a supplier and they said this camera having better WDR function than the original Tesla rearview camera. Will install this front camera at the front grill (maybe somewhere under the Tesla logo) for the frontview testing, will post pics or upload youtube video for sharing.

front view camera.jpg

Installation of the front view camera, just attached the camera under the car plate with the 3M tape, and then do some basic wiring to the main console

D54C0EA6-77FD-494C-95A3-64584E9F64D2.jpeg 49C49A47-67AC-47D0-8562-DEAAF4661029.jpeg

74189E32-E330-4F1D-86C7-46228722E0E6.jpeg AA8DC058-35CC-4159-B2AC-1A3989B017AD.jpeg
EE66559D-76B7-4B98-B32D-8AFE9D876CCF.jpeg

Front view image from the screen , you can see the bottom part is the front bumper. The current viewing mode is super wide angle (180degree)

EE490521-CBA7-4B7C-A8D7-A69735226B40.jpeg C2E31436-1C9B-4F60-89C1-95070C07A424.jpeg

Will make some image customization of the front image such as bird view , combined super wide view + birdview later