Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Frontview (or multi-view) 720p camera for Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Impressive, As for the side view, do you plan or its it possible with your switch to put side by side left/right views on the touchscreen? (Both at the same time for blind spot views?)

For side view , I guess only left side view is required for LHD (China , US, Germany, France etc...) , and right side view is required for RHD (Hong Kong, Aussie, UK, Japan etc...)

So , to the maximum 3 cameras is good enough (front, rear, either side)

A 4-camera-solution is more approaching to the 360 around-view system. We don’t do 360 around-view system as it is too troublesome for installation,l. Btw, we are working with one 360 around-view supplier in china to have their video output directly to the Tesla screen

For side view , I guess only left side view is required for LHD (China , US, Germany, France etc...) , and right side view is required for RHD (Hong Kong, Aussie, UK, Japan etc...)

A 4-camera-solution is more approaching to the 360 around-view system. We don’t do 360 around-view system as it is too troublesome for installation,l. Btw, we are working with one 360 around-view supplier in china to have their video output directly to the Tesla screen
Would you have the option to select both side cameras and the rear for like Akiki mentioned for blind spot view?

First, I think you are mistaken. I believe several years ago the U.S. requirement is left and right side. And yes, a 4 camera system is a 360 around-view system and is what is desired.

But if you are only going to do a three camera system then you just made this entire project of no interest to me. I've already got the front cam kit that artsci did. But the features that I believe that were already described as possible (left/right), front and rear inputs, are what I want. And I venture to say anyone here that would want more than front and rear are also going to want two sides certainly not one side.

So, if you don't mind, would you clarify for me one more time, please? Is it your intent to do a 3 camera view or 4 camera view?

thank you

ok guys, thanks for your valuable input and idea, appreciate for your thoughts and that would make our product more prefect!

As for our project schedule, we are planning to make the following function step by step (due to complexity and time spent)

1st : front / rear switch (2cam solution)
2nd: front / rear / (left or right either one end) switch (3 cam solution)
3rd: front / rear / left /right switch and combined view 4 cam solution (still thinking doing this or not because it is more approaching the 360 around-view)

- 1st step testing and customization will be completed around early June
- 2nd step would probably be done not later than end of June as the hardware is the same as the 1st one.
- for the 3rd one , it needs more time to consider to kick off or not , or simply work with a 360 around view supplier for a total solution)

First, I think you are mistaken. I believe several years ago the U.S. requirement is left and right side. And yes, a 4 camera system is a 360 around-view system and is what is desired.

But if you are only going to do a three camera system then you just made this entire project of no interest to me. I've already got the front cam kit that artsci did. But the features that I believe that were already described as possible (left/right), front and rear inputs, are what I want. And I venture to say anyone here that would want more than front and rear are also going to want two sides certainly not one side.

So, if you don't mind, would you clarify for me one more time, please? Is it your intent to do a 3 camera view or 4 camera view?

thank you

If I don't get it wrong, what you want is a left and right side-view switch on top of the front cam kit (artsci did) so that you can do the switching of either front, rear, left, right view? If that's the case, to my board is also a 3 video input solution as the front/rear switch was done front your front cam kit.

My concern about the left/right blind spot is: for LHD (Left hand drive) vehicle, you are driving at the left and you can see your left side clearly. Is the left side view camera really needed for blind spot? This is just my thought and concern, no offend.

Btw, currently we have no plan to do a 4 camera view solution by our side, but, we can integrate a 360 around-view system into our board so that you can see all images from your Tesla TFT panel (touchscreen)

I'm not trying to reinvent the camera wheel here. But in one sentence. LHD has a blind spot too except for those X-men mutant that have another set of eyes in the back of their heads.

I'd not try to use the artsci switch with your switch. If it does what I want, I would replace the artsci switch with your switch.

And. I don't know what you mean by 4 camera view solution by our side. What does that mean? And as compared to a 360 around view?

Since you are in your development phase here. And you could use this forum to determine feature demand before you start supplying. Let me share with you what I would like to see.

1. Use half my touchscreen to show me a real/live image. In that image, and since its already a touchscreen, let me see the half screen divided into 4 quads. In each quad is a) front, b) rear, c) left side toward what's coming up in my blind side, d) right side toward what's coming up in my blind side. I'd like to touch one of those quads and it comes up at the single image filling the full half screen - sort of like we see when we see the rear view. Give me a button or return button so I can go back to the quad view when I want to.

I'd also like to be able to define which view (front. rear or sides) goes in which quad. Drag and drop or "setting" screen".

2. This option, I think, would not look good, but so there's a "2", here it is. Take the touchscreen half view screen and give me the option for Front, Rear, or Left/Right side by side. I don't think this would be as useful, because the left side on the left half of the half screen and the right side on the right half of the half screen would look distorted. But what do I know?

Would it not be more cost effective and efficient to just build the 4 camera screen first, and let it serve the purpose of the 4, 3 and 2 camera screen/view? One switch and you either don't plug in the camera 1 or camera 2 that you don't need? That would give you. It also gives the owner the option to add another camera or two camera later without replacing the switch to get a three or four cameras?

So even if you have to step through the developent of the 2 and 3 camera view, to get to the 4 camera input, it seems a single design (4 camera switch design) would be most cost effective.

...I'd like to touch one of those quads and it comes up at the single image filling the full half screen - sort of like we see when we see the rear view. Give me a button or return button so I can go back to the quad view when I want to....
I don't think that is going to happen. Hacking the rear feed is very different that hacking the application within the MCU to give feedback back to whatever new device is combining the images.

Another very serious question is what demand will be, especially for developers who are spending some serious money, which I assume includes Bearbu. Based on my experience with the both versions of the front-rear camera switch I think Bearbu would be lucky to sell 100 of his multiview devices. It was a very different story in the days of we early adapters (2012-2013). The new crop of owners seems much less interested in mods of this kind and DIY projects of any kind. (CPO buyers may be a different story). I hope I’m wrong but that’s the way it feels. We have a long proven and high value product in the camera switch but are struggling to get the 50 deposits we need to make production worthwhile. Just sayin’

Reactions: Akikiki
very Interesting news here.
the different between artsci and BearBu solutions is the number of Videoinput and multiple Images at the same time?

is it possible to Plugin a Svideo, VGA, HDMI... Input?

this was my Initial Idea for artsci Produkt. to Plugin "any" Video Input

sorry, was off for a couple of days for a short trip in Taiwan.

thanks guys for the idea, input, and thoughts. I would like to introduce more details of myself (sorry as I didn't have introduction at the 1st thread!)

We are a Hong Kong based company of professional working on the video signal processing, we have several projects focusing in the camera switch, for BMW, Mercedes, VW, Honda, and some China local brand vehicles.

For Tesla, the most time spent was the signal conversion (from Tesla camera , and to Tesla panel) and such issue was solved, for the switch (front/rear/left/right split) functionality board, we use the same switch PCB from other projects of which is in mass production. The different between Tesla and other project is the input / output port, therefore, we will need to customize another PCB to work with the switch PCB. We need 1-2 days for PCB layout after finalizing the market info, requirements.

Yes, we are still in the user customization stage (mostly gathering user requirement, desire, LHD, RHD) as we hope to make a product more "satisfying" (base on the functionalities and limitations of our camera switch PCB).

For this project, the 4 camera solution (Tesla rearview camera, Non-Tesla frontview camera, Non-Tesla left camera, Non-Tesla right camera), the maximum switchable display modes are as follows:

display mode.jpg

Therefore, we have 2 stages development (2 cameras, 3 cameras) as mentioned in previous thread. Our solution cannot do triple view or even quad view due to the limitation of our switch PCB.

Reply to Akikiki:

Appreciate your detailed input! If you are looking for a quad view system with 4 cameras (non-Tesla camera), I would recommend you to get a 360 around-view system, plus a video conversion board (we can provide).

360 system.jpg

Reply to Artsci:

The intention to do this project is that I am also a model S driver suffering from the lack of frontview image when parking (also my parking lot size is not large, just 5m x 2.15m), and I got the same thought from other Tesla owner from my circle, customers in Hong Kong, China and other regions. Also, the camera switch is not difficult to us as we have been doing such thing for other projects which is in mass production. The most difficult thing for Tesla is the video conversion.

Back to the reality issue, the potential of this project. I really don't have the idea of how popular of this product would be, my aim is to make a product that atleast solving my need, and also benefit to other user if possible.

I am planning to make 100 set of this board as first batch as I am currently having around 70set order (from the end-user in Hong Kong, China), and we will estimate the total cost for this product including cameras (non-Tesla camera), normal AV wire, LVDS wire (no need Dakar 535). Will have more information to share later.

very Interesting news here.
the different between artsci and BearBu solutions is the number of Videoinput and multiple Images at the same time?

is it possible to Plugin a Svideo, VGA, HDMI... Input?

this was my Initial Idea for artsci Produkt. to Plugin "any" Video Input

our board can receive AHD signal @720p30 from non-Tesla camera, and LVDS signal @720p30 from Tesla rear-view camera only.

Btw, we are planning to make the video conversion board that takes VGA or HDMI signal (720p30) and output the LVDS signal to Tesla screen (the 360 around-view system I have mentioned in the previous thread)

Bearbu, just want to make sure you know. There's a older version of the Tesla rear camera selling on Amazon. Its only $40 and that's just 1/10 of what we paid Tesla for that same camera back in '14 when we did the first front kits.

Reason, I am telling you this, it may be practical to use non-Tesla cameras for the side views, but the original Tesla camera is cheap these days. Of course, let me also add the con. That's because is mirrored. It produces the left on the right and right on the left. Its reversed when used on the front.

I like your proposed views. I am interested in buying one of your first 100. I am looking for a way to give me left;/right blind side views while driving on the touchscreen or separately.

Bearbu, just want to make sure you know. There's a older version of the Tesla rear camera selling on Amazon. Its only $40 and that's just 1/10 of what we paid Tesla for that same camera back in '14 when we did the first front kits.

Reason, I am telling you this, it may be practical to use non-Tesla cameras for the side views, but the original Tesla camera is cheap these days. Of course, let me also add the con. That's because is mirrored. It produces the left on the right and right on the left. Its reversed when used on the front.

I like your proposed views. I am interested in buying one of your first 100. I am looking for a way to give me left;/right blind side views while driving on the touchscreen or separately.

It's good to know there is an older version of Tesla camera in the market for just US$40.00. Am wondering if it is a while-stock-last stuff or got numerous stock.

The point that we use non-Tesla camera are:

- no need to worry about the supply
- just use normal AV wire
- easier to do wiring as the LVDS wire are too thick to do so
- it's a front-view for sure (we can do the mirroring also)

Btw, thanks for interesting into our product, will keep posting the project update in this thread.

sorry, was off for a couple of days for a short trip in Taiwan.

thanks guys for the idea, input, and thoughts. I would like to introduce more details of myself (sorry as I didn't have introduction at the 1st thread!)

We are a Hong Kong based company of professional working on the video signal processing, we have several projects focusing in the camera switch, for BMW, Mercedes, VW, Honda, and some China local brand vehicles.

For Tesla, the most time spent was the signal conversion (from Tesla camera , and to Tesla panel) and such issue was solved, for the switch (front/rear/left/right split) functionality board, we use the same switch PCB from other projects of which is in mass production. The different between Tesla and other project is the input / output port, therefore, we will need to customize another PCB to work with the switch PCB. We need 1-2 days for PCB layout after finalizing the market info, requirements.

Yes, we are still in the user customization stage (mostly gathering user requirement, desire, LHD, RHD) as we hope to make a product more "satisfying" (base on the functionalities and limitations of our camera switch PCB).

For this project, the 4 camera solution (Tesla rearview camera, Non-Tesla frontview camera, Non-Tesla left camera, Non-Tesla right camera), the maximum switchable display modes are as follows:

View attachment 303372

Therefore, we have 2 stages development (2 cameras, 3 cameras) as mentioned in previous thread. Our solution cannot do triple view or even quad view due to the limitation of our switch PCB.

Reply to Akikiki:

Appreciate your detailed input! If you are looking for a quad view system with 4 cameras (non-Tesla camera), I would recommend you to get a 360 around-view system, plus a video conversion board (we can provide).

View attachment 303381

Reply to Artsci:

The intention to do this project is that I am also a model S driver suffering from the lack of frontview image when parking (also my parking lot size is not large, just 5m x 2.15m), and I got the same thought from other Tesla owner from my circle, customers in Hong Kong, China and other regions. Also, the camera switch is not difficult to us as we have been doing such thing for other projects which is in mass production. The most difficult thing for Tesla is the video conversion.

Back to the reality issue, the potential of this project. I really don't have the idea of how popular of this product would be, my aim is to make a product that atleast solving my need, and also benefit to other user if possible.

I am planning to make 100 set of this board as first batch as I am currently having around 70set order (from the end-user in Hong Kong, China), and we will estimate the total cost for this product including cameras (non-Tesla camera), normal AV wire, LVDS wire (no need Dakar 535). Will have more information to share later.

I would buy your product as is. But I'm not sure how much it would take for you to be able to get the two side views on the screen at the same time. It seems like you've done 90% of the work already.

I think if possible you would open your product up to even more as you could market it as a blind spot monitor system. I would buy it either way though.

It's good to know there is an older version of Tesla camera in the market for just US$40.00. Am wondering if it is a while-stock-last stuff or got numerous stock.

The point that we use non-Tesla camera are:

- no need to worry about the supply
- just use normal AV wire
- easier to do wiring as the LVDS wire are too thick to do so
- it's a front-view for sure (we can do the mirroring also)

Btw, thanks for interesting into our product, will keep posting the project update in this thread.

Bearbu, We are fortunate that you have a Tesla. So you can match/test some of the equipment. Where are you thinking of mounting the side camera? Would that be on the inside A Pillar near the front quarter window? Or would it be outside with a chromed plastic snap-on mount on the underside of the existing mirror? Or ....???? Using the non-Tesla camera you have the option of using weatherproof and build a truly blind side monitoring add-on as Gatorguy and pkodali suggest? For years there's been discussion on the TM forum complaining of no decent blind side monitoring on the S or X. Solve that and you open the door to many many more customers than just your first 100.

Just did a quick installation of the left side view camera using 3M tape at a public car park. The left side camera was placed not really in a good shape and the outcome image is of a little bit “inclined”.

9BA26FD4-B761-482F-A920-61BAC61D96BC.jpeg

Below link is the video clip of the 3 cameras switching (front / rear / left side). Video was filmed very rushy as it was already midnight and I was kinda tired. Will make some good and more clear video preferable at day time later