TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Froot Gets REALLY Hot !

Discussion in 'Australia & New Zealand' started by RichardMcN, Dec 13, 2016.

1. RichardMcN

RichardMcN Member

Does anybody have a solution to this...

Parked for hours on a hot sunny day, the froot gets really hot inside (small new style froot), and that's where my charging goodies live, filling the froot. Everything inside becomes really hot to touch and I'm sure the heat can't be that good for the UMC, EVSE, Chademo adapter etc.

The back of the car is already pretty crowded with the spare tyre, compressor, jack, octopus etc, so would prefer to not move the charging stuff to the rear.

Any thoughts ??

2. ShockOnT

ShockOnT Quickish

Only really two options without chopping things:
    1. Move the stuff to the back underfloor area.
    2. Insulate the froot, which will only delay the inevitable, but may be enough to outlast the day part of the day-night cycle.

• Like x 1
  3. baillies

baillies Member

You missed 3. Paint your car white or at least the froot area ;-)

• Funny x 1
  4. wpapua

wpapua Member

A suggestion from my 'better half' - maybe a 'foil' fire blanket (or two) would be worth a try ? Perhaps the reflective surfaces would help reduce the heat ? Makes me consider the heat impact on my spare wheel stowed in there (touring Froot [85 RWD]) !

• Like x 1
  5. Blue heaven

Blue heaven Member

Richard, if you compare the two photos attached its apparent the original Model S has trim attached to the underside of the hood, on the Model S update it's no longer fitted, not sure the reason, could be a cost saving, weight saving or some other reason, does it affect the heat transfer to the Frunk? It would be interesting to place two vehicles of the same colour side by side and measure the difference in temp.
    Maybe you could get a retrofit from Tesla, but I would ask at Tesla service why it was no longer fitted in the first place.

image.jpg image.jpg

• Informative x 1
  6. Dborn

Dborn Confirmed

Years and years ago Jaguar had air con ducts going to the boot. Not sure if they still do, but the idea was to keep groceries etc cool. It was, of course, switchable.
    That would be a solution but I confess I have not seen it on any other car in recent years. I did suggest it to Tesla a long while ago in an improvement request sent via the servicehelp email address, but who knows if anyone actually reads those.

• Informative x 1
  7. RichardMcN

RichardMcN Member

Thanks @ShockOnT, @baillies, @wpapua, @Blue heaven, @Dborn,

Not sure if I'll paint the froot lid white or cut ducts into it, but I have asked Tesla about the trim that the pre-facelift had. Would be a simple solution if available.

Otherwise I'll arrange the gear so that the electronics are at the bottom and just bare cables on top. Maybe an insulating blanket if needed.

Much appreciated guys!