Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Frosten [frosted] headlights

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone have any tips on keeping the headlights from frosting up/freezing over in the current cold temperatures?

I made a journey of around 12 miles last night and it wasn't until I joined the motorway I realised that I couldn't see a thing as they were frosted over. I obviously cleared them for the return journey, but it wasn't ideal on the way out.

I'm not sure if the headlight lenses are glass or plastic, I've been worried I will scratch them by scraping.

I'd assume it's toughened plastic - I think you'd need to try really hard to scratch them though if you're using a normal plastic ice scraper that you'd use on a window :)

Could always keep a can or bottle of deicer spray in your car if you don't want to risk it - just don't keep it in the frunk - good luck opening that when its frozen!

Reactions: Empato
I'd assume it's toughened plastic - I think you'd need to try really hard to scratch them though if you're using a normal plastic ice scraper that you'd use on a window :)

Could always keep a can or bottle of deicer spray in your car if you don't want to risk it - just don't keep it in the frunk - good luck opening that when its frozen!

If you get a transparent PPF wrap on the nose, they'll also do the headlights. And fig lights if you have them.

Reactions: Yachtsman
I've been making up my own de-icing spray for years now. Cheaper than buying cans of the stuff, I just dispense it into a refillable spray bottle. I usually use a 70% isopropyl alcohol and water mix (which is also a very effective surface disinfectant). A version that has a bit more persistence for more severe icing includes about 5% to 10% ethylene glycol. Both are readily available and aren't as expensive as buying the ready-mixed stuff. This is safe on the car paintwork, plastics used on lights, rubber seals, etc, I've been using it for many years now.

Yes the joys of a So-called Most Advanced car on the road, that so many maintain it is. Trouble is LED's do not produce heat, so they will take for ever to defrost, I wonder how bad they get driving in heavy snow fall.

I suppose it is back to the good old days, of getting out and cleaning them, or making sure they are clean and clear every time you set off.

• Informative
Reactions: exlatccatsa
Yes the joys of a So-called Most Advanced car on the road, that so many maintain it is. Trouble is LED's do not produce heat, so they will take for ever to defrost, I wonder how bad they get driving in heavy snow fall.

I suppose it is back to the good old days, of getting out and cleaning them, or making sure they are clean and clear every time you set off.

You have to think back to those heady days of yore when expensive cars were fitted with absurd systems like headlamp washers and rear windscreen wipers and daft ideas like effective reversing ilumination...

Reactions: Cnixon
It's just one of the things you should check before setting off as a responsible driver. Tyre pressures, lights, washer fluid. In the winter, clear all snow off the car, clear the windows, clear the lights. Too many people just get in their car without checking things and expect everything to be perfect!

Me have frosten lights on both car here in winter lands ... no just erretric ... ;)

• Funny
Reactions: ACarneiro