Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Frozen 17in touchscreen diisplay

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Found a red-header "Take car for service" at the top of the display this morning, plus a range charge warning popup. Could not get rid of either, nor bring up control screen etc. iPhone App commands worked OK.

Rebooted twice, still came up with the frozen display. Took in to Seattle service center, they got same result. They updated to latest OS (I already had .21), still got the frozen screen.

So they replaced the touchscreen. And washed the car.

Anyone else?

I've heard that this happened to a local owner. I've twice gotten into the car and my touchscreen didn't come up initially.
Third time and I'm calling the service center. Glad they got your issue resolved speedily.

My understanding is that this is a cold weather issue. About 20F right now so today and tomorrow will really test my screen.

Yes, temperature was the initial suspect. But my garage never gets below 47degF (8.5C) and, even warmed up in the Tesla service center, it still failed to clear the screen. So they tried the operating system upgrade with no luck.

I am still dubious that it was a touchscreen error per se, since the okay button would wink when I touched it--just not do anything.

I had similar warnings and freezes on my touchscreen about 2 months ago. I rebooted numerous times, but the error messages and freezing continued on and off for about a week. I brought the car in to the newly opened Palo Alto service center, and they replaced the touchscreen (and also gave me a car wash and a P85 loaner for a day and a half while they did the work and some other minor service items). During the time when my touchscreen was fritzing, I was able to drive the car no problem, so this wasn't a major inconvenience to me. I was also able to handle some of the functions from the controls on the steering wheel.

I had similar warnings and freezes on my touchscreen about 2 months ago. I rebooted numerous times, but the error messages and freezing continued on and off for about a week. I brought the car in to the newly opened Palo Alto service center, and they replaced the touchscreen (and also gave me a car wash and a P85 loaner for a day and a half while they did the work and some other minor service items). During the time when my touchscreen was fritzing, I was able to drive the car no problem, so this wasn't a major inconvenience to me. I was also able to handle some of the functions from the controls on the steering wheel.

Was there a fee for this? Currently visiting family and my screen seems to be having the same problem. :(