Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Frozen handle and windows.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Need to be careful pouring hot water on a freezing cold window. My dad did that when I was a kid and cracked the windshield.

My Model S window decided to freeze today. I stupidly yanked the door open but then couldn't close it while inside the car since the glass hits the brightwork. Can't force the window down manually either. I managed to close the door while outside the car by pushing/bending the top of the window under the brightwork. Then I tried to lock the car with the fob and the lights stayed on (car thought the door wasn't shut). I had to slam on the door just to get the car to turn off. Tomorrow I'll try using either a hair dryer or alcohol or something to unfreeze the window.
Thermal shock is only a problem if the glass has a scratch or chip. Hair dryer can damage the car. Alcohol is for drinking.
Hot water is best.

Turns out solar power did the trick, mostly. Just waited this morning until things warmed up a bit. The window was able to blip down when I opened the door and back up when I closed it, but the manual switch to make the window go up/down wasn't doing anything. I shoved down on the window while pressing it down, then pulled up on the window while pressing it up, and after that cycle, apparently the computer decided it could work, so it started working again.

If windows stick when trying to open door, will it damage mechanism etc? I've got the gummy pfez (sp?) stuff so hopefully outer is covered but bottom of window/top of door frame won't be.

As to sticking handles, anyone got a solution - happened to us twice already - total design flaw. I've currently wiped some ptfe lube in there at moment but its not been cold enough since doing that to test.

If windows stick when trying to open door, will it damage mechanism etc? I've got the gummy pfez (sp?) stuff so hopefully outer is covered but bottom of window/top of door frame won't be.

As to sticking handles, anyone got a solution - happened to us twice already - total design flaw. I've currently wiped some ptfe lube in there at moment but its not been cold enough since doing that to test.
Design flaw? Have you really never had your car doors, door handles, and windows freeze shut? I’ve dealt with it since I was a kid. Which region are you in?

These questions came up alot last Winter, particularly in Canada. They apparently, give the door handle a good rap with a fist, and that unsticks them or unfreezes them. Something to do with hockey. I bet there are videos online.

Reactions: GSP and MrBadger
Got the triple whammy of frozen handle (just pushed harder), window stuck (cried a little, then messed with the button until it went back up) and...

Driver-side mirror partially unfolded and wouldn’t stay extended, and it went “BANG.“ Drove home with an enlarged blind spot on icy roads. Tried to turn off mirror retraction (to avoid more damage), but wasn’t successful. When I got home, damn mirrors folded, then lo and behold the driver’s-side unfolded normally. For some reason it didn’t save the mirror preference to my profile, but maybe I saved it to Easy Entry. Only after I saved it to my profile then the mirrors stay put.

Hi all.

There must be other owners in the north east coast dealing with this at the moment.

It was snowing followed by freezing rain two days ago. Yesterday I came out to stuck door handles and worst, frozen windows.

The reason it’s worst is because when you open the door the windows cannot retract messing up your window alignment.

So today I preheated the cabin for 30 minutes. Windows was still frozen but the retraction action broke the ice. My door handle was almost impossible to press because of ice.

Any ideas on how to prevent frozen handles? Or possibly thaw them?

My car is not garaged.

Aim your driver and passenger vents sideways, towards the windows. Pre-heat car for 20 minutes. Problem solved.

• Informative
Reactions: UTMB and silenteski
Design flaw? Have you really never had your car doors, door handles, and windows freeze shut? I’ve dealt with it since I was a kid. Which region are you in?

I have and plenty with frameless windows too, never been a problem. I've also never had a door handle that allows water to sit inside it because of the shape. Normally these things are shaped to repel water, the Model 3 one acts like a bucket. Would have thought that the designers would realise that water doesn't flow up so would gather inside the handle mechanism and freeze the handle shut.

20191110_154311688_iOS - Copy.jpg

I have and plenty with frameless windows too, never been a problem. I've also never had a door handle that allows water to sit inside it because of the shape. Normally these things are shaped to repel water, the Model 3 one acts like a bucket. Would have thought that the designers would realise that water doesn't flow up so would gather inside the handle mechanism and freeze the handle shut.

View attachment 477164
Not sure that this is entirely about buckets. Water can travel 100’ and further up an oak tree. Capillary action will always win.

View attachment 477164
Agree with you that this design has an issue. I thought “uh oh“ when I pushed and it didn’t move because of the ice.

There was a software update that below a certain temperature the windows would not go all the way up by about 1/4 " which was enough to clear the trim after you thawed the door handle.

Do you have the details as I have not noticed this in action? Only had two icy days so far so will look more closely next time. Would be interested to know the temp as we can get very hard ground frost so frozen car yet air temp readings hasn't gone below freezing and it has not rained.

Frozen down here this week. The door handle was easy enough to force open, but the non-retracting window is really alarming. Even after opening the door, the window would not budge, which makes closing the door a problem. Have to try the deicer spray. Perfect combination of rain followed by hard freeze, I don't remember this last year.