Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Frozen Supercharger Connectors

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

s34gull

Supporting Member
Aug 12, 2020
Denver, CO
Encountering this while trying to charge in single digit temps at Silverthorne and Idaho Springs super chargers: impacted ice in the charger handle, deep in the plug. Has anyone else encountered this? Tips on defrosting the plugs so that you can charge? Portable hair dryer? Zippo? Butane torch? Any tips are appreciated.

Last edited:
Haven’t seen ice in the plug before but have noticed that in extreme cold the plug is a tighter fit. If you don’t really force it sometimes in the cold you only get half the charge rate.

Of the options you listed, I would only try a 12v portable hair dryer.

Encountering this while trying to charge in single digit temps at Silverthorne and Idaho Springs super chargers: impacted ice in the charger handle, deep in the plug. Has anyone else encountered this? Tips on defrosting the plugs so that you can charge? Portable hair dryer? Zippo? Butane torch? Any tips are appreciated.
I would try moving to a different stall and see if the other plug works. We've never had any issues charging in Silverthorne, Idaho Springs or any other Superchargers in cold locations. I've never heard of this issue before and there are lots of people in Canada, Norway, etc. that are able to charge just fine.

I would also recommend not trying anything which could potentially melt the plug and damage it.

Haven't seen this problem either, but if necessary I would try hand-warming packets.

Reactions: theothertom
One issue I have seen in extremely cold weather is sometimes I wouldn't be able to plug in right away because the retractable pins in my charge port didn't retract instantly when the port cover flipped open. I would then just push the button next to the charge port and they would retract and then I was able to plug in just fine.