Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Frozen Touch Screen

How often have you had to reboot your console and how long have you had your car?

• Once

• Twice

• Three times

• More than three

• Less Than 6 Months

• Less Than a Year

• Over a Year

Results are only viewable after voting.

jdrubino

Jun 7, 2021
Charlotte, NC
Welcome to the new world of driving.
So we all have - in effect - bought iPhones on wheels.
My touch screen froze and I performed the screen reset procedure (hold down both scroll wheels until the screen goes black) - this resolved it.

I have had the car since the beginning of June.

I assume this will happen again - how often does this happen to ya'll - just curious?

thewishmaster

Jun 4, 2018
California
I’ve done it a few times over the last 3 years for various reasons. It’s probably crashed and rebooted spontaneously once or twice as well. I wouldn’t worry about it unless it keeps happening in similar ways on different software versions.

TM3blu

Sep 20, 2018
Arizona
The first time it worried me, I was driving on the freeway doing 70 MPH, on A/P. Kept driving and in about a minute all was back to normal.
The second time it annoyed me because my passenger freaked out. Despite my assurances that all was well. After the car rested for about an hour, all systems normal.
I say, "Its a computer that drives, these things happens".

• Funny
Reactions: YourNickName

ThiccDaddy

Sep 15, 2020
Whittier, CA
whenever i hit a supercharger, ill pull up netflix and it runs really slow and laggy. a lot of times it crashes and reboots the car. touch screen non responsive and takes forever to close.

Reactions: TM3blu

Apr 26, 2020
San Diego
First time I had to reboot today. I think it was because I read this thread! The screen was displaying okay, but I was unable to selecting anything (music, A/C, etc.). Touching any of the icons would do nothing. So, pulled over and rebooted. Then all was okay again. ( I have rebooted previously for whatever reasons, but this was the first time I needed to, as the screen was froze)

Shelburne

Mar 9, 2021
Shelburne Falls, MA
I've had my M3 since 9/20. I've only put 5300 miles on it but have never had this problem. However, lately when I get in the car the screen stays black for perhaps 2 seconds instead of lighting up right away. That doesn't bother me and I'm assuming that has to do with the last software update.

Reactions: hcdavis3

hcdavis3

HCD3
Supporting Member
Mar 3, 2019
I've had my M3 since 9/20. I've only put 5300 miles on it but have never had this problem. However, lately when I get in the car the screen stays black for perhaps 2 seconds instead of lighting up right away. That doesn't bother me and I'm assuming that has to do with the last software update.
My 3 does this most mornings.

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC