Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Frozen washer fluid the day after a Chicago snowstorm?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had a rather unnerving experience while driving my 8-week-old Model Y on a Chicago tollway en route to O'Hare two days before Christmas. The temperature was well zero F and the windshield became coated with road salt and ice from the previous day's snowstorm. I hit the washer button and nothing happened. I could hear the motor turning as visibility through the windshield slowly deteriorated. I finally made it to a busy O'Hare. It was somewhat embarrassing as I poured half a bottle of water onto the windshield, which I knew would freeze. That allowed me to use my ice scraper, clear the ice off and gain some visibility. I made the 16-mile trek home very slowly. I later added more than a half gallon of my own fluid rated at minus 20 F. I was somewhat shocked it needed that much since I'd hardly used the washer. One more thing: The Model Y was in my unheated garage which should have been considerably warmer than the outside temperature. Even my bottled water was not frozen.

The Upshot: As the temperature rose in the following days, the washer began working. A Tesla service tech who came to the house was; as flummoxed as I was as he and I wondered if the Austin factory is actually sending vehicles to Chicago with substandard washer fluid. I've yet to receive an explanation from Tesla. I should note, frozen fluid is my own diagnosis and I"m open to the possibility there could be another reason for this. Also, nothing like this ever happened in my previously owned Model S.

I can’t see or expect Tesla would use different washer fluid based on delivery location for each car. The factory workers wouldn’t even know where the car will be delivered to while building it.
Tesla probably use the cheapest, non-branded washer fluid possible.

Reactions: ucmndd
Tesla does not fill the washer fluid reservoir on new vehicles, only puts in enough to keep the low washer fluid indicator from being displayed. Unless you live in the deep south in the US be sure to fill the 1.2 gallon fluid reservoir with washer fluid rated for -20 or colder.

I can’t see or expect Tesla would use different washer fluid based on delivery location for each car. The factory workers wouldn’t even know where the car will be delivered to while building it.
Tesla probably use the cheapest, non-branded washer fluid possible.
I don’t know if it’s cheap. It just likely isn’t rated for negative temperatures.
All you have to do is add the proper rated fluid for your temperatures.

Same happened to my new 2023 MYP. I just grabbed some better stuff to put in. Been fine since. However the wipers and the washer sprayer pretty are retarded on this thing lol. And the wiper fluid streaming down my drivers side window is ridiculous. But the good news is the auto wipers go off when it’s dry out!

But I thought it only affects Tesla? /s
You would think by the posts huh.

If folks want to see the negative, they will find any way possible to illustrate the negative side of anything.
Wording like “Tesla uses CHEAP washer fluid” because it’s not rated for cold weather is an example.
Warm weather washer fluid is not cheap. It’s just only made for warm weather.
But calling it cheap, best fits their negative narrative I guess. :)

You would think by the posts huh.

If folks want to see the negative, they will find any way possible to illustrate the negative side of anything.
Wording like “Tesla uses CHEAP washer fluid” because it’s not rated for cold weather is an example.
Warm weather washer fluid is not cheap. It’s just only made for warm weather.
But calling it cheap, best fits their negative narrative I guess. :)
I never specifically said it was cheaper because it wasn’t rated for cold weather. But, just like any other car manufacturer, I guarantee you that aren’t using the highest quality expensive fluid. They put something in there to get the job done for delivery of the vehicle.