Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Frozen window dented chrome trim

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've had my Model 3 (LR RWD ordered right before MR came out) for about 2 weeks now, it has less than 1000 miles on it. Until today I have had no issues. My family and coworkers all love it.

This morning it was in the upper 20's so I preheated the car for about 30 minutes. When I went outside the windshield was 100% defrosted but the handles were frozen solid. I beat on the handle for a bit and it broke loose but when I pulled the door open the window didn't come down and made a terrible noise as it snapped out of the trim. Worse, I couldn't close the door at all because the window was up too high. I tried pouring water on it and my neighbor had some liquid defrost spray that I sprayed everywhere while working the window switch and shaking the window back and forth as hard as I was comfortable doing, but it didn't move at all. Being 20+ minutes late for work at this point, I managed to pry the window back into the trim and barely get the door to latch. When I got to work I had the same issue but just left the door open and an hour later the window was able to go down.

Unfortunately prying the window back into the trim managed to scrape the chrome surround and actually dented it in. For a brand new car that I paid $56000 for this has me on the verge of tears! And I have no idea how I'm going to deal with the rest of the winter.

I live in Birmingham, Alabama where it snows maybe once every 2-3 years. I am 3 hours away from Florida and the beach. It's not Siberia or anything crazy. I don't get how this can be such a major issue and it's got me so frustrated and disheartened and I just don't know what to do.

Will Tesla fix my dented chrome trim? It breaks my heart that a brand new car is tarnished because of a stupid design. I'm just so frustrated.

I understand your frustration. Hoping that Tesla will accept this as faulty design and fix accordingly. I live in a colder climate with more snow. So far I have not experienced this because my car is usually in the garage during the starting point. I have yet to have it openly exposed to elements overnight but since I have finally been able to put winter tires, I will be in the same situation in the future. I am hoping that some of the software updates will more effectively warm the door handles and window areas. Otherwise, Tesla might experience massive recalls, but that would be catastrophic. Please come up with a working solution, Elon!

I thought Tesla had a software fix for this like a month ago. Did you update your car to the latest software? Hopefully Tesla service can fix the dent on the chrome piece.

In extremely cold weather, please pre-heat the car for longer time (preferably 1 hour) and at highest temperature possible.

Frankly it's a dumb window/door/gutter design. Just to save a little bit of aerodynamic drag Tesla has *created* this issue for themselves.

There are tons of frameless car door designs out there and they don't have the frozen door to nearly the same level. The problem is the window has to go down to clear the gutter (as we know) just to open the door. In any other frameless design you aren't opening the window when it's frozen so even if frozen, no problem.

I purchased some gasket conditioner and will apply. My car sits in a partial basement attached garage so it never even gets to freezing in there but I do plan on skiing and using the car all winter! Would be fairly ticked if this happens to me.

Also preheating the cabin is not a solution, it's a bandaid.

I wonder how much premature window motor failure there will be because of this constant usage. I do agree to preheat the cabin is a band-aid and not a solution since not everyone has a chance to adequately pre-heat in certain situations, nevermind about, additional efficiency loss during the winter driving situation when the battery is not in its optimal operating temperature.

Im sure if that the attitude Tesla took for each "little bit of aerodynamic drag" problem they face during design, people would then be complaining about range.

Of course. Everything adds up, marginal gains become huge when many of them are combined. However a mass market vehicle is by definition driven by compromises. These things need and should be intended to be able to be driven in all climates and exist for at least a decade without design decisions leading to large issues. I think the window/door/gutter design was well conceived but poorly considered.

On balance it's an amazing car and I love mine but there are some head scratchers IMO.

Reactions: Cowby and roguenode
I wonder how much premature window motor failure there will be because of this constant usage. I do agree to preheat the cabin is a band-aid and not a solution since not everyone has a chance to adequately pre-heat in certain situations, nevermind about, additional efficiency loss during the winter driving situation when the battery is not in its optimal operating temperature.

Also, I know that where I live the window on a framed door can be frozen to the point where moving the window up or down does nothing, and put strain on the motor. I haven't had the issue because I park in garage at work and at home, but every time I have the car in an outdoor lot, ie out to dinner, lunch, etc. i'm worried that I will have this issue.

Better areo dynamics = better range until you have to use your battery to heat the car for an hour to open the door with a 2000 watt heater.

Hey, sorry to hear about your issue. I had a similar problem impact my chrome trim, but it was a poorly adjusted window (not frozen). The service to change that chrome piece was actually super simple. Hopefully they fix for free, but it shouldn't be too expensive either.

Hey, sorry to hear about your issue. I had a similar problem impact my chrome trim, but it was a poorly adjusted window (not frozen). The service to change that chrome piece was actually super simple. Hopefully they fix for free, but it shouldn't be too expensive either.
My tint installer scratched my top piece of chrome and I was quoted 170$ a piece. I have read on this forum earlier in the year they were around 60$. Not sure if the pricing has gone up since then or if my quote is wrong.

I've had my Model 3 (LR RWD ordered right before MR came out) for about 2 weeks now, it has less than 1000 miles on it. Until today I have had no issues. My family and coworkers all love it.

This morning it was in the upper 20's so I preheated the car for about 30 minutes. When I went outside the windshield was 100% defrosted but the handles were frozen solid. I beat on the handle for a bit and it broke loose but when I pulled the door open the window didn't come down and made a terrible noise as it snapped out of the trim. Worse, I couldn't close the door at all because the window was up too high. I tried pouring water on it and my neighbor had some liquid defrost spray that I sprayed everywhere while working the window switch and shaking the window back and forth as hard as I was comfortable doing, but it didn't move at all. Being 20+ minutes late for work at this point, I managed to pry the window back into the trim and barely get the door to latch. When I got to work I had the same issue but just left the door open and an hour later the window was able to go down.

Unfortunately prying the window back into the trim managed to scrape the chrome surround and actually dented it in. For a brand new car that I paid $56000 for this has me on the verge of tears! And I have no idea how I'm going to deal with the rest of the winter.

I live in Birmingham, Alabama where it snows maybe once every 2-3 years. I am 3 hours away from Florida and the beach. It's not Siberia or anything crazy. I don't get how this can be such a major issue and it's got me so frustrated and disheartened and I just don't know what to do.

Will Tesla fix my dented chrome trim? It breaks my heart that a brand new car is tarnished because of a stupid design. I'm just so frustrated.
Stupid design?

I love the design. I absolutely LOVE trackless doors. Silicone on the seals is absolutely fantastic. Walmart @ $6 per can will last the entire life of the car.

AND because its a dry lube.....it won't streak the windows when you roll them up and down during the winter.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/3-IN-ONE-RVcare-Window-Track-Dry-Lube/133406147

Its been said that people perish for a lack of knowledge. I'm just trying to share a little.

I am a Model S owner for the past 143,000 miles living in both Wisconsin and now Ohio. I always keep a thin plastic scraper in the either the frunk or the back hatch. During the winter months I use this scraper to slide between the door glass and the window seal to break the ice bond that develops when they freeze together.
This plastic scraper will not scratch the glass. You will want to do all 4 windows at the same time in the event someone else enters through the other doors. Pouring hot water on a frozen car is never an effective solution.

Stupid design?

I love the design. I absolutely LOVE trackless doors. Silicone on the seals is absolutely fantastic. Walmart @ $6 per can will last the entire life of the car.

AND because its a dry lube.....it won't streak the windows when you roll them up and down during the winter.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/3-IN-ONE-RVcare-Window-Track-Dry-Lube/133406147

Its been said that people perish for a lack of knowledge. I'm just trying to share a little.

Problem is, I don't think it's the rubber gaskets that freezes up. It's the felt covered strip (I call it black peach fuzz) that brushes against the glass along the top of the door at the base of the window on the outside. The felt forms moisture and retains/traps it and freezes against the glass. You should not lubricate that felt with anything and even if you did it would not stop moisture from being trapped in the felt and freeze against the glass. I've seen many other cars with that same felt rubbing against the glass and never froze. Maybe the strip is to wide and traps/retains moisture to easily. A Silicon spray on the felt (peach fuzz) might help and be safe. I've also seen some moisture get trapped in the gasket around the window (because it's like a double gasket) and also lube won't help that much in that case either. Dry rubber won't freeze to the glass, it's just less pliable when cold. So lubed rubber isn't gonna help much.

The problem happens when it rains and then freezes. It's not a lubrication issue. And it retains moisture for days.

Problem is, I don't think it's the rubber gaskets that freezes up. It's the felt covered strip (I call it black peach fuzz) that brushes against the glass along the top of the door at the base of the window on the outside. The felt forms moisture and retains/traps it and freezes against the glass. You should not lubricate that felt with anything and even if you did it would not stop moisture from being trapped in the felt and freeze against the glass. I've seen many other cars with that same felt rubbing against the glass and never froze. Maybe the strip is to wide and traps/retains moisture to easily. A Silicon spray on the felt (peach fuzz) might help and be safe. I've also seen some moisture get trapped in the gasket around the window (because it's like a double gasket) and also lube won't help that much in that case either. Dry rubber won't freeze to the glass, it's just less pliable when cold. So lubed rubber isn't gonna help much.

The problem happens when it rains and then freezes. It's not a lubrication issue. And it retains moisture for days.

I disagree. I soaked my felt with the silicone solution and it works perfectly. The silicone repels water so there is no moisture in the fabric.

You don't have to try it if you don't want to. Lubed rubber and felt works here in Chicago.

Reactions: mswlogo
Reactions: goldengate
Thank you for the responses so far. I guess I will be spraying silicone on my door jambs to keep moisture out.

As far as the dented chrome, is it even worth seeing if Tesla will fix it? I will have to drive 4 hours to a service center so I'm not looking forward to that but it makes me sick to my stomach to have a dent/scuff on an otherwise perfect car that is brand new.

I've attached an image (I think) of the damage.

Attachments

• IMG_20181212_153042.jpg
    IMG_20181212_153042.jpg
    161.2 KB · Views: 180
That's not a horrible ding. I'd be tempted to ignore for awhile until I had some other reason to visit a SC. I would however call Tesla and let them know and get it on my account so they know.

The silicone spray on the door felt sounds like a good idea. Maybe this is the real issue? I've never owned a car that had so much felt at the top of the door to window interface. Usually it's a rubber seal at the top.

Thank you for the responses so far. I guess I will be spraying silicone on my door jambs to keep moisture out.

As far as the dented chrome, is it even worth seeing if Tesla will fix it? I will have to drive 4 hours to a service center so I'm not looking forward to that but it makes me sick to my stomach to have a dent/scuff on an otherwise perfect car that is brand new.

I've attached an image (I think) of the damage.

I'd try calling it in with a photo and make sure they have the part and have it fixed next time you visit. I suspect you won't have a problem having them covering it. They know there is a problem.